Issues with qtmake and compilers

• I'm new to QT and I've been trying to build example programs. I get an error "executing qmake". After poking around a bit, I found my kits don't have a compiler. I have visual c++ compiler installed, and mingw. Both are auto-detected. For some reason, my kits won't use them and I can't tell them to. Lots of googling turning up vaguely related results that don't help. I'll post a couple screenshots as well. Pressing "Manage" the kit window just pushes me to the compiler tab. Context

• Qt Champions 2016

Make sure the autodetected compilers do exist where Qt Creator thinks they are. Also gdb doesn't work with msvc as far as I know, you'd need to download and install the MS developer's tools to get cdb. If you're new to Qt I strongly advise to just download MinGW (or install along with Qt through the installer) and just use that. It has much smoother user experience configuration-wise, at least until you get more comfortable with Creator's toolchain's configurations.

• @kshegunov It has the right address for visual and for the mingw. Disabling the gbd debugger has no effect, and I had only enabled it earlier to check if it would have an effect. I'm going to reinstall and try to see if I can get Qt to install a compiler with it like you were saying.

• Qt Champions 2016

@GDBobby said in Issues with qtmake and compilers:

reinstall and try to see if I can get Qt to install a compiler with it like you were saying.

As a notice: there's a mingw compiler shipped with the installer but it's in the tools section. So you'd need to select a Qt mingw distribution from the Qt library group and then explicitly select (as it's not installed by default) the actual compiler from the tools group.

• @kshegunov Reinstalled and I'm running in to the same issue. Any other options?

• Qt Champions 2016

@GDBobby said in Issues with qtmake and compilers:

Any other options?

Setting up the kit manually. Add a new kit and select the corresponding qmake, compiler and debugger. Should be enough to get it working.

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.