qDebug() has stopped working - seriously

• I was experimenting with qDebug().noquote() and QTextStream(stdout) to print a QByteArray's content, and after undoing my code back to the initial simple qDebug() statements, which worked before, I no longer get any output at all. It's like something changed in the behavior of qDebug. I restarted qt creator, made another project, but with no help. Does this make any sense ?
    Providing code doesn't help, but what I'm trying to say is:

1. simple qDebug() code is working, I get expected output
    2. I edit it to experiment with .noquote and also with qtextstream
    3. I un-do (ctrl z) the code back to state #1 and now don't get any output.

The initial QByteArray didn't change, printing it with QTextStream still works fine.

• Lifetime Qt Champion

Hi,

A minimal code sample would still be useful to try to reproduce your problem.

You should also add the Qt version and platform you are running on.

• Hi SGaist, and thanks for helping out again :)

This is the initial code, I was trying to see what output I get from different methods.

QByteArray x=reply->readAll();

qDebug()<<x.toStdString().c_str();
        qDebug()<<QString(x);
        qDebug()<<QString::fromUtf8(x);
        qDebug()<<x;

It was working fine, the first line had the nicest output because it actually displayed newlines and tabs instead of '/n' or '/x9 ' . But I didn't like the idea of converting to std::string so I tried something with qDebug().noquote(). As far as I remember, this is how the code next looked:

//qDebug()<<x.toStdString().c_str();
       //qDebug()<<QString(x);
       //qDebug()<<QString::fromUtf8(x);
       qDebug().noquote()<<x;

I didn't get the expected output, so I googled a bit and did something like:

QTextStream out(stdout);

//qDebug()<<x.toStdString().c_str();
        //qDebug()<<QString(x);
        //qDebug()<<QString::fromUtf8(x);
        out<<x;

The output was looking nice, with actual newlines and tabs. Next I ctrl-z-ed back to the initial code, compiled, and got nothing, without changing anything in the code.

I'm using Qt_5_8_0_MSVC2015_64bit on Win 7.

• Lifetime Qt Champion

Nothing or empty ?

You should add a minimal amount of text before your send your x variable to the debug output. You might be getting an empty reply for some reason.

• Doing qDebug()<<"something"<<x; doesn't print anything. qDebug()<<"anything"; qDebug()<<"something"<<x; only prints "anything".
    The network reply is not empty, I can print it successfully with QTextStream, or write it to a file with QFile::write().

• Lifetime Qt Champion

Which version of Qt Creator ?

By the way 4.2.2 is out.

• Have you tried QString instead of standard string?

• @SGaist It's Qt Creator 4.2.1
    @Asimov I'm not sure what you mean.

• Lifetime Qt Champion

Then you should update to 4.2.2

• @cpper
    Sorry it took so long to get back, been busy.
    I was thinking something like this.
    Of course I didn't have your function to try this with, but thought this might work.
    I am converting a QByteArray to a QString and then displaying it.

It probably won't help, but might be worth a try (I might not be understanding everything in your code though).

QByteArray qString("A Qbyte String");
    QString myString(qString);
    qDebug()<<"Your string is" << myString;

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.