How to apply rules of grammar?

• Hello, I'm doing a text editor and I want to apply grammar rules to it. Any idea how to do it?
    I was thinking of loading a file with the rules so I could add rules in an easier way, but I can not think how to do it.
    Can anybody help me?

• Qt Champions 2016

@Blaster

Can you give more details of what this covers?

Its a spell checker?

• @mrjj He is a translator of hieroglyphs and I want, for example, in the following text:

"asddf"

And when applying one of the rules would be

"asdf"

How do I do it?

• Qt Champions 2016

@Blaster

well it really depends on what hieroglyphs can be
    and also what the rules can be ?

So you have a trigger text like asddf and once found it should look up a rule
    with the text as key and trasnform the selected text with the function ?

Or what is the overall process?

• @mrjj
    Let me explain myself better.
    I have a fairly large text and after clicking on a button, the application should apply the rules to the text, and I say the rules because it is not one are several.
    What makes it difficult is that the rules have to be in a file because they depend on other factors.
    My problems are:
    How do I write the rules in a file so that the application can understand them?
    How, after reading them, do I apply them to my text?

• Qt Champions 2016

@Blaster
    But how is your rule defined?
    That will determine how u can save them.

Can you show 1 rule?

• @mrjj
    I already told you that I do not know how to express them, but in principle, the one I set as an example, would be:
    xx -> x
    xyxy -> xy
    I don't know, something like that

• Qt Champions 2016

@Blaster
    well im asking you to express a rule in english :)

If only action is text replacement then format could be

Text to find, text to replace tp

but i not sure what rules can be.

A rule is only Text To Find, Text to replace with or is a rule something else?

• @mrjj
    There are other rules and it is not just text to replace. The idea of this rule is to find the occurrence of consecutive patterns and leave only one occurrence, which is what I find difficult to express

• Qt Champions 2016

@Blaster

Well one way is just to use name for what function to call

TriggerText, Action, Param1
    afffd, one_occurrence, none
    HHH, text_replace, thetext

This is epic esy to read in with Qt.

But I would first write up all rules and what data it needs to operate.
    That would give you idea on what format is needed.

• @mrjj
    It's a good idea, but what I want is not having to write a function for each rule

• @Blaster said in How to apply rules of grammar?:

The idea of this rule is to find the occurrence of consecutive patterns and leave only one occurrence

put the patterns in a file, one by line. for each line do a replace with QRegularExpression replacing "(?:%1)+" with "%1" where %1 is the pattern

• Moderators

Hi! Don't know anything about hieroglyphs, but if the language they represent has a context-free grammar, then you can express the rules in Backus-Naur form and process the source text with Flex and Bison.

• Qt Champions 2016

@Wieland said in How to apply rules of grammar?:

if the language they represent has a context-free grammar

I have not encountered a natural (i.e. human) language that can be prescribed by a context-free grammar. Otherwise I completely agree, for what it's worth. :)

• @Wieland said in How to apply rules of grammar?:

Hi! Don't know anything about hieroglyphs, but if the language they represent has a context-free grammar, then you can express the rules in Backus-Naur form and process the source text with Flex and Bison

An example please

• Moderators

• @VRonin
    In this case ... how do I make the regular expression capture the occurrence of equal letters without defining what the letter

I was thinking of loading a file with the rules

without defining what the letter

I'm confused now...

let's say you have a UTF-8 text file (rules.txt) that contains:

x
    xy

You can use

QString stringToTranslate("xyxyxx");
    QFile rulesFile("rules.txt");
    if(rulesFile.open(QFile::ReadOnly | QFile::Text)){
    QTextStream rulesStream(&rulesFile);
    rulesStream.setCodec("UTF-8");
    QString line;
    while (stream.readLineInto(&line))
    stringToTranslate.replace(QRegularExpression("(?:"+QRegularExpression::escape(line)+")+",line);
    }
    qDebug() << "Translated String: "+stringToTranslate;

Is this what you wanted?

• @VRonin
    What I really want to know is how to make a regular expression that checks the multiple occurrence of any pattern, not including some specific character in the expression.
    Something like, for example

"x{2,}"

that would match any string containing 2 or more repeated characters regardless of the character

• @Wieland
    It is not grammar free of context, it is a gramática similar to the one of our languages

• Imagine the input is xxxyxy do you want the output to be xxy or xy?

• @VRonin
    Just xy

• I know it's very inefficient but my brain can't optimise on Monday. At least it works:

QString removeDuplicates(QString source){
        for(int matchLen = source.size()/2; matchLen>0;--matchLen){
            for(int startOfset=0;(2*matchLen)+startOfset<=source.size();){
                if(source.midRef(startOfset,matchLen)==source.midRef(matchLen+startOfset,matchLen))
                    source.remove(matchLen+startOfset,matchLen);
                else
                    ++startOfset;
            }
        }
        return source;
    }

• @VRonin
    I appreciate the effort, but I need to avoid using functions and that's why I'm talking about regular expressions. The code before the last one helps a lot.

but I need to avoid using functions

I'm confused... can I ask why?

The code before the last one helps a lot

QString stringToTranslate("zxxxyxyxyxxzz");

for(int matchLen = stringToTranslate.size()/2; matchLen>0;--matchLen){
            for(int startOfset=0;(2*matchLen)+startOfset<=stringToTranslate.size();){
                if(stringToTranslate.midRef(startOfset,matchLen)==stringToTranslate.midRef(matchLen+startOfset,matchLen))
                    stringToTranslate.remove(matchLen+startOfset,matchLen);
                else
                    ++startOfset;
            }
        }

qDebug() << "Translated String: "+stringToTranslate;

• @VRonin
    That helps, because I can put in the file all the combinations and then apply them to the string

how to make a regular expression that checks the multiple occurrence of any pattern

@Blaster said in How to apply rules of grammar?:

because I can put in the file all the combinations and then apply them to the string

I'm totally lost now. If somebody else has ideas please step forward

• @VRonin
    Let's see, I am Cuban guy and my English is not very strong, I only defend a little.
    I explain to you better so you understand.
    I have an application in which it is necessary to apply certain rules, one of which I mentioned to you, that of the patterns. This application does not work only in a language and I need to make that the processing of the rules be independent of the language of the application, so I need the rules in a file to be able to make changes when you want to change in some rules or to be able to add a new rule without having to program again

• Moderators

Hi @Blaster, I'll repeat @VRonin's question:

Why do you need to avoid using functions?

• If I understand correctly you want a file containing all operations that should be done to the string (removing duplicates being just one of them).

If your rules can all be expressed in terms of regular expression replaces then it's fairly easy, for example the duplicates one would be: (.+)\1+

otherwise you'll need to use some form of syntax. probably the most straightforward way is to express operations in terms of ECMAScript (JavaScript) functions and use Qt Script to run them

• @JKSH said in How to apply rules of grammar?:

Hi @Blaster, I'll repeat @VRonin's question:

Why do you need to avoid using functions?

Because I will change the rules after finishing the application

• @VRonin said in How to apply rules of grammar?:

If I understand correctly you want a file containing all operations that should be done to the string (removing duplicates being just one of them).
    If your rules can all be expressed in terms of regular expression replaces then it's fairly easy, for example the duplicates one would be: (.+)\1
    otherwise you'll need to use some form of syntax. probably the most straightforward way is to express operations in terms of ECMAScript (JavaScript) functions and use Qt Script to run them

Yes, you understood correctly.
    That's what I'm talking about.

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.