postgresql backup and restore

• I have some problem trying to restore a backup made with pg_dump (it´s a postgres command).
    When I restore the backup using the postgresql command from console works fine:
    psql "dbname=myDB host=localhost user=myUsr password=Mypwd" < myBackup

So I tried to implement the same function in QT via QProcess without success.
    MyProcess.setNativeArguments(""dbname=myDB host=localhost user=myUsr password=Mypwd" < myBackup")
    MyProcess.setProgram("psql");

Somebody has some example how to do it correctly.

Many thanks
    Pablo

• Hi all,

Well I found the solution searching in Internet and I found this link:
    https://www.codeproject.com/Articles/360472/Postgres-Database-Backup-Restore-From-Csharp

Looks that psql for some reason cannot be launch inside of Qt, so I created a bat file that contains the psql command and their parameters. Then I call that bat file from QProcess and Finally works fine!!!

Anyway I will keep open this ticket for a while if somebody has a better solution.

Pablo

• Moderators

@PabloArg Processes started using QProcess do NOT run inside your Qt app!
    The problem is that you pass the parameter wrongly: you should not pass all parameters as one string.
    You should read QProcess documentation, there are examples:

QObject *parent;
    QString program = "./path/to/Qt/examples/widgets/analogclock";
    QStringList arguments;
    arguments << "-style" << "fusion";

QProcess *myProcess = new QProcess(parent);
    myProcess->start(program, arguments);

So, each parameter is put as string in a string list.

You should connect http://doc.qt.io/qt-5/qprocess.html#errorOccurred to a slot and print the error.

• Hi jsulm,

I tried as you said as well, but doesn´t work. Anyway according to QProcess is possible to use Native parameters where your parameters you can put as string and QT will recognize each parameters by spaces between them. I am usign for long time without problem.

I will close this ticket because looks that this is a problem with psql. And the only solution is create a bat file, and run the bat in QProcess.

Many thanks to everybody as I said before if you guys found better idea to do this let me know

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.