QTableWidget item->settext() Segfaulting QT 5.8

• Good evening. I am having a segfault and I cannot find out why. According to the web searches that I have done things are OK in the code.

I am reading in a file, adding a row to the tableWidget, then attempting to parse and put data in the same. It segfaults on the first "setText" line.

"Cell[]" is a QString array. "row" is an int. "line" is a QString.

fp = fopen("Procedures.txt","r");
       if(fp != NULL)
       {
       QTextStream file(fp,QIODevice::ReadOnly);

while(file.readLineInto(&line))
          {
          Cell[0] = line.mid(0,line.indexOf("\t"));
          line.remove(0,(line.indexOf("\t")+1));
          Cell[1] = line;
          ui->tableWidget->insertRow(row);
          ui->tableWidget->item(row,0)->setText(Cell[0]);
          ui->tableWidget->item(row,1)->setText(Cell[1]);
          row++;
          }

fclose(fp);
       }

• Moderators

@dcbdbisVA You did not set any items in the new row, so I guess ui->tableWidget->item(row,0) and ui->tableWidget->item(row,1) both return null pointer. See http://doc.qt.io/qt-5/qtablewidget.html#insertRow : "Inserts an empty row into the table at row."
    You need to set items in both columns using http://doc.qt.io/qt-5/qtablewidget.html#setItem

• Moderators

@dcbdbisVA One note: if you use Qt you can use QFile to access files.

• ui->tableWidget->item(row,0) and ui->tableWidget->item(row,1) are null pointers.

QAbstractItemModel* model=ui->tableWidget->model();
    QFile fp("Procedures.txt");
    if(fp.open(QIODevice::ReadOnly | QIODevice::Text)){
    QTextStream file(&fp);
    for(;file.readLineInto(&line);++row){
    const QStringList cells=line.split("\t");
    model->insertRow(row);
    model->setData(model->index(row,0),cells.value(0));
    model->setData(model->index(row,1),cells.value(1));
    }
    fp.close();
    }

P.S.
    Yes, I hate the QStandardItem interface!

• VRonin and jsulm, THANK YOU.

I appreciated the code example VRonin....As you can tell by my style, I'm older. Think ENIAC, 300 baud acoustically coupled modems, and everything written in assembler.

I modified my code accordingly and it works perfectly.

To assist myself in the future when I read the docs, I would like to ask this question:

Where in the QT docs would I have gotten the model interface? When I was reading the class documentation, nowhere did it tell me about the model interface. I ASSumed that the class documentation had all I needed there. Contrasting QT to wxWidgets, and the VLC (from the Borland days) all fully documented their classes on how to interact with them. Frankly, I would not have gotten your solution from the QT docs themselves. So I am very appreciative for your example.

Is there some doc that I need to read elsewhere to brush-up on the "model" interface, and when to use/deploy it?

Thank You!

Dave

• QTableWidget is an unsusual animal, it's just a QTableView with a QStandardItemModel as a member.

In one of the see also in the documentation it links to http://doc.qt.io/qt-5/model-view-programming.html that explains that models must respect the QAbstractItemModel interface so you can use that one to manipulate models

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.