Trying to build a library with QT and MinGW

• Hello, newbie here. There is a library that I want to use but it comes with vague instructions to use QT and MinGW to build it with a Makefile in Win 10

First I installed QT and I entered in on the command line

//Initial Attempt

C:\Users\Be\Downloads\VirLe-v1.0.2-src\virle-36c567b992a6\src>D:\Qt\Qt5.7.1\Tools\mingw530_32\bin\mingw32-make.exe -f Makefile

qmake -o Makefile.VirLe VirLe.pro
    process_begin: CreateProcess(NULL, qmake -o Makefile.VirLe VirLe.pro, ...) failed.
    make (e=2): The system cannot find the file specified.
    Makefile:22: recipe for target 'Makefile.VirLe' failed
    mingw32-make: *** [Makefile.VirLe] Error 2

I figured maybe it wasn't working because I wasn't doing it directly in the command line so I started up the MinGW shell and retyped the commands.

D:\DocumentArchive\VirLe-v1.0.2-src\VirLe-      36c567b992a6\src>D:\Qt\Qt5.7.1\Tools\mingw530_32\bin\mingw32-make.exe -f    Makefile

Info: creating stash file D:\DocumentArchive\VirLe-v1.0.2-src\VirLe-  36c567b992a6\src\.qmake.stash
    Project MESSAGE: Building Qt executable
    Project ERROR: Unknown module(s) in QT: qt3support
    Makefile:22: recipe for target 'Makefile.VirLe' failed
    mingw32-make: *** [Makefile.VirLe] Error 3

It looked like I had a version of QT that was too new so I installed QT 4.8.6 and tried again.

D:\DocumentArchive\VirLe-v1.0.2-src\VirLe-36c567b992a6\src>D:\MinGW\bin\mingw32-make.exe -f Makefile

WARNING: d:\DocumentArchive\VirLe-v1.0.2-src\VirLe-36c567b992a6\src\VirLe.pro:57: Unescaped backslashes are deprecated.
    WARNING: d:\DocumentArchive\VirLe-v1.0.2-src\VirLe-36c567b992a6\src\VirLe.pro:57: Unescaped backslashes are deprecated.
    D:/MinGW/bin/mingw32-make -f Makefile.VirLe
    mingw32-make[1]: Entering directory 'D:/DocumentArchive/VirLe-v1.0.2-src/VirLe-36c567b992a6/src'
    D:/MinGW/bin/mingw32-make -f Makefile.VirLe.Release
    mingw32-make[2]: Entering directory 'D:/DocumentArchive/VirLe-v1.0.2-src/VirLe-36c567b992a6/src'
    g++ -c -pipe -fno-keep-inline-dllexport -fexceptions -Wall -Wno-write-strings -Wno-unused-parameter -DLIBXML_STATIC -I../lib\libxml2\include -I../lib\libiconv\include -I../lib\libz\include -DQTGRAPHICS -O2 -frtti -mthreads -Wall -Wextra -DUNICODE -DQTGRAPHICS -DREACTIONS_HEADER= -DREACTIONS_HEADER_STRING="" -DFLEMING -DQT_DLL -DQT_NO_DEBUG -DQT_QT3SUPPORT_LIB -DQT3_SUPPORT -DQT_GUI_LIB -DQT_CORE_LIB -DQT_HAVE_MMX -DQT_HAVE_SSE -DQT_HAVE_MMXEXT -DQT_HAVE_SSE2 -DQT_THREAD_SUPPORT -I"..\..\..\..\Qt\4.8.6\include\QtCore" -I"..\..\..\..\Qt\4.8.6\include\QtGui" -I"..\..\..\..\Qt\4.8.6\include\Qt3Support" -I"..\..\..\..\Qt\4.8.6\include" -I"..\..\..\..\Qt\4.8.6\include\ActiveQt" -I"release" -I"..\..\..\..\Qt\4.8.6\mkspecs\win32-g++-4.6" -o release\canvas.o canvas.cpp
    'g++' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
    operable program or batch file.
    Makefile.VirLe.Release:314: recipe for target 'release/canvas.o' failed
    mingw32-make[2]: *** [release/canvas.o] Error 1
    mingw32-make[2]: Leaving directory 'D:/DocumentArchive/VirLe-v1.0.2-src/VirLe-36c567b992a6/src'
    Makefile.VirLe:34: recipe for target 'release' failed
    mingw32-make[1]: *** [release] Error 2

Here is a link to the Makefile I am trying to get to work...

https://www.scribd.com/document/335488856/Make-File-Vl

Can anybody give me an idea what might be going wrong?

• Lifetime Qt Champion

Hi and welcome to devnet,

The qt3support error indicates that it's a library ported to Qt 4 that wasn't completely ported.

From your other error, it looks like the Makefile is done for Linux rather than generic.

• Moderators

@A123 In the final make attempt the Makefile is trying to use g++ which of course is not mingw32-g++. You could change that in the makefile to use mingw32-g++, and it may get you further.

This is going to be a tough thing to get working though it looks like it has pretty limited windows support. Like it's an after thought and not something that is maintained well by the developers.

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.