Very odd behavior with GDB and QTcreator ( Breakpoints not working, debugger works though )

• So I'm trying to fix this issue for days weeks now, problem:

Debugging works fine with the build in terminal, however when I try to use a external terminal it seems to disregard my breakpoints.
    Even more odd is that when put a sleep function in my program then stop it. I could step over and in functions just fine, all functionality was there with the exception of breakpoints.
    ( I tried with the latest kits and QTcreator versions as well with different compilers and versions of them all, and yes I've tried "sudo echo 0 > /proc/sys/kernel/yama/ptrace_scope" )

Note: There was a odd case when it did work, where I was messing with some settings, wasn't able to replicate it afterwards.

Running Debian 8, feel free to ask system / config info if required.

• Moderators

@Rick How do you start your app for debugging in that external terminal? You need to start from QtCreator or to attach to already running app ("Debug/Start Debugging/Attach to Running Application").

• I'm sorry I thought it was kind of obvious from my perspective since I've been busy with it for a long time, there's an option in QTcreator under Project => Build & run => Run => Run in terminal.
    Without it it works fine, but if the option is enabled the debugger doesn't stop at breakpoints.

The option you describe still has the issue where I could still step in code but breakpoints still aren't functional.

• Moderators

@Rick Just tested on Windows 7 with Qt 5.7 MinGW (GDB) - it works.

• @jsulm Suppose it must be my setup then?
    EDIT: I'll do a full reset upon my settings and my external config. I'll see if that fixes things.

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.