Using QTimer in main() (not in a class)?

• Hi,

What I want to achieve is a timer instance created within my main function, that on timeout calls another function within main.cpp .

Normally the syntax of connecting the right signal and slot would be something like this:

QObject::connect(&timer, SIGNAL(timeout()), &RECEIVER_CLASS_INSTANCE, SLOT(RECEIVER_CLASS_FUNCTION()));

which normally would be fine, but the app I am making does not have a MainWindow and this is happening within the main function (its a simple app and I don't need to use the MainWindow setup). So unless theres a special way to use it it seems that I cannot connect the timer signal to the slot this way as I don't have a class instance to give the connect function, and I can't use "this" since again, its not a class instance.

In the wiki I noticed a newer way to use connect mentioned here: https://wiki.qt.io/New_Signal_Slot_Syntax

connect(sender, &Sender::valueChanged, someFunction);

which would allow me to just connect a signal to a function like a desire. So i tried:

QTimer timer;
        QObject::connect(&timer, &QTimer::timeout, slotUpdate());

but then I get:

main.cpp:40: error: C2665: 'QObject::connect': none of the 3 overloads could convert all the argument types

So, I'm a little stuck on how to pull this off. Anyone know how to do this ? ><

Thanks in advance.

• Moderators

Hi! There's just a typo in your connect statement :-)

#include <QApplication>
    #include <QDebug>
    #include <QTimer>

void someFunction()
    {
        qDebug() << "Some function";
    }

int main(int argc, char *argv[])
    {
        QApplication a(argc, argv);

QTimer timer;
        QObject::connect(&timer, &QTimer::timeout, someFunction);
        QObject::connect(&timer, &QTimer::timeout, []() { qDebug() << "Lambda"; });
        timer.start(500);

return a.exec();
    }

• Woops...

That did the trick, thanks!

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.