Including MASM .asm file

• Hi,

I'm trying to create a QT project which links to a .lib created in Visual Studio. That library has a reference to '_alldiv', which seems to be provided by lldiv.asm (in the VS redistributable package). That asm file looks like a file MASM would understand.
    How can I include that asm file in my project so that the reference for the library gets satisfied when linking the whole project?

Thanks in advance.

Kind regards,

Remco Poelstra

• Moderators

@remcopoelstra
    did you try to add it to SOURCES like any other cpp file?

• Moderators

@remcopoelstra So, you link against an already built library? Then why does it need an assembler file?

• @raven-worx Adding it to the SOURCES gives the following warning/error:

:-1: warning: ..\FUM\lldiv.asm: linker input file unused because linking not done
    :-1: error: error: debug/lldiv.o: No such file or directory

Adding it to LIBS instead gives an 'file format not recognized' error.

@jsulm I don't know. Probably the provider of the lib doesn't know either. I asked them for another version, but they are most likely going to respond with 'use Visual Studio'.

• Moderators

@remcopoelstra
    ok.
    i haven't tried it, but add this to your .pro file:

win32:msvc {
        my_asm.output  = ${OBJECTS_DIR}/${QMAKE_FILE_BASE}.obj
        my_asm.variable_out = OBJECTS
        my_asm.input = ASM_FILES

!contains(QMAKE_TARGET.arch, x86_64) {
            my_asm.commands = ml /c /Fo${QMAKE_FILE_OUT} ${QMAKE_FILE_NAME}
        } else {
            my_asm.commands = ml64 /c /Fo${QMAKE_FILE_OUT} ${QMAKE_FILE_NAME}
        }

QMAKE_EXTRA_COMPILERS += my_asm
    }

Then all you need to do is ASM_FILES += path/to/file.asm

Hope it works.

• @raven-worx Thanks for the suggestion. I couldn't get it to work though. It seems this whole part gets ignored as I see no related output in the compile output window.
    I did however notice that there are a lot of these errors in that window:
    Warning: corrupt .drectve at end of def file
    Further Googling showed that the mingw compiler is absolutely not compatible with VS libraries, so it seems I'm on a dead end anyway...

• Moderators

@remcopoelstra said in Including MASM .asm file:

Further Googling showed that the mingw compiler is absolutely not compatible with VS libraries, so it seems I'm on a dead end anyway...

well ... don't you think that the fact that you are using mingw instead of MSVC would be a valuable information beforehand?!
    You never mentioned mingw... of course MSVC and mingw libs are not compatible. Not even libs compiled with different MSVC versions are compatible.

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.