Error building freetype2 for Android with Qt Creator

• Hello. I'm trying to build freetype-2.7 for Android with Qt Creator but it's not working. I open the project as a CMake project. I can build it for win32-desktop but not for Android. It's failing at the cmake configure phase. I know my android kit is working because I can build and deploy a simple Qt project. I've seen some articles on how to build it using from the Android SDK, but I'd like to do everything from Qt Creator.

The first error shows up in the General Messages window:

CMake Error at C:/Programs/cmake-3.6.3-win64-x64/share/cmake-3.6/Modules/CMakeTestCCompiler.cmake:61 (message):
      The C compiler
      is not able to compile a simple test program.
      It fails with the following output:
       Change Dir: C:/Users/tom/tmp/freetype-2.7/_build_android/CMakeFiles/CMakeTmp

Then, in the CMakeError.log file:

Compiling the C compiler identification source file "CMakeCCompilerId.c" failed.
    Compiler: C:/.../Android/sdk/ndk-bundle/toolchains/x86-4.9/prebuilt/windows-x86_64/bin/i686-linux-android-gcc.exe 
    Build flags: 
    Id flags: 
    The output was:
    .../i686-linux-android/bin/ld.exe: error: cannot open crtbegin_dynamic.o: No such file or directory
    .../i686-linux-android/bin/ld.exe: error: cannot open crtend_android.o: No such file or directory
    .../i686-linux-android/bin/ld.exe: error: cannot find -lc
    .../i686-linux-android/bin/ld.exe: error: cannot find -ldl
    collect2.exe: error: ld returned 1 exit status

The linker can't find some files even though they exist. Is there a way to tell cmake the library search path? (I'm a cmake noob)

Here are the full texts:
    General Messages:

And the articles:
    article 2

My config:
    Qt version: Qt 5.7.0 MinGW 32bit
    Qt Creator version: 4.1.0
    Android kit: Android for x86 (GCC 4.9, Qt 5.7.0)

Any ideas? Thanks.

• Update: This is definitely not a problem with Qt or Qt Creator. I tried building it with Android Studio and got the same problem when I used gcc, and a different problem when I used clang (no errors, but no output). I was able to build it from the command line using the utility from the Android SDK and CMake.

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.