Do signal of global object could be connect to slot of other object?

• Do signal of global object could be connect to slot of other object?
    I found that the signal emitted could not trigger slot in other object.

• Moderators

Hi @cokefish, and welcome to the Qt Dev Net!

@cokefish said in Do signal of global object could be connect to slot of other object?:

Do signal of global object could be connect to slot of other object?
    I found that the signal emitted could not trigger slot in other object.

Please describe how you create the global object.

Remember: you must create the QCoreApplication/QGuiApplication/QApplication before you create any other QObject.

• @JKSH
    I defined it out of main().

• Moderators

@cokefish said in Do signal of global object could be connect to slot of other object?:

@JKSH
    I defined it out of main().

That's too vague.

Please post your code -- show us how you created the global object, and how you connected the signals.

• connect is a static method so you can invoke QObject::connect() directly in the main

• Qt Champions 2017

Yes, but I'm pretty sure JKSH is worried about the order of creation of QObjects instead. :)

• Ok, thanks, got it.

So the solution is declare a global QObject pointer instead of QObject instance and create the object on the heap from main

Are you 110% sure you need a global object? it's almost never a good thing

• Qt Champions 2017

Well, the "cleanest" solution I've come up with is to do what QCoreApplication does - set the reference in the constructor, e.g:

class MyGlobalObject
    {
    public:
        MyGlobalObject()
        {
            Q_ASSERT(!reference);
            reference = this;
        }

static MyGlobalObject * instance()
        {
            return reference;
        }
    private:
        static MyGlobalObject * reference;
    };

MyGlobalObject * MyGlobalObject::reference = nullptr; //< This goes in the cpp obviously.

Then one can create the object wherever convenient (i.e. main()'s stack comes to mind) and get the instance everywhere:

int main(int argc, char ** argv)
    {
         QApplication app(argc, argv);
         MyGlobalObject global; //< Ensures the global object is created after the root QObject, and destroyed before

// ...
         return QApplication::exec();
    }

However using global objects is grossly discouraged for a number of reasons, discussed numerous times in this forum and elsewhere.

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.