Signals & Slots stopped working

• Hi,
    I have the following code which used to work:

connect(ui->descr_TextEdit, &QTextEdit::textChanged, [this]()
        {
            description = getDescription ();
        });

Now it gives me the following error messages:

1. 'description' is not captured
    2. the lambda has no capture default
    3. QString 'description' declared here.

How can I fix this?
    Thank you.

• Hi @gabor53,

Does your class still have a description member?

• Yes I have it.

• Can you show the actual compiler error output?

• Hi @Paul-Colby
    Here is the complete error message:

C:\Programming\Projects\Folkfriends_1_0\additem.cpp:-1: In lambda function:
    C:\Programming\Projects\Folkfriends_1_0\additem.cpp:254: error: 'description' is not captured
    description = getDescription ();
    ^
    C:\Programming\Projects\Folkfriends_1_0\additem.cpp:252: the lambda has no capture-default
    connect(ui->descr_TextEdit, &QTextEdit::textChanged, this
    ^
    C:\Programming\Projects\Folkfriends_1_0\additem.cpp:29: 'QString description' declared here
    void Additem::Addcontent(QString name, QString newWhat, QString newMaterial, QString newColor, QString description, QString newmonth)
    ^

• replacing [this] with [&] works?

• Qt Champions 2016

@gabor53
    If description is a function parameter you must capture it explicitly:

void Additem::Addcontent(QString name, QString newWhat, QString newMaterial, QString newColor, QString description, QString newmonth)
    {
        // ... 
        connect(ui->descr_TextEdit, &QTextEdit::textChanged, [this, description]()
        {
            description = getDescription();
        }); 
        // ...
    }

But in any case such a capture is useless, because you can only do it by value.

• @Paul-Colby said:

Does your class still have a description member?

@gabor53 said:

Yes I have it.

That's not a class member.

Cheers.

• @kshegunov
    From the compiler output Additem::Addcontent is at line 29 while the lambda is at line 252 so I doubt it's nested. It's just description missing as a class member full stop

• Qt Champions 2016

@VRonin

so I doubt it's nested

At this point we can guess and bet.

It's just description missing as a class member full stop

Perhaps, or maybe the function is spanning 300 lines. The point is, without a more complete piece of the code we can't know for sure.

@gabor53

Do you mind sharing your class declaration and Additem::Addcontent function?

• @VRonin
    Hi,
    replacing [this] with [&] worked. Thank you.

• Qt Champions 2016

@gabor53
    Perhaps it compiles, but have you tested if it runs okay? Judging by the compile error and the solution, I'd be really surprised if you don't get a segfault. My previous request - to provide the whole function definition - stands.

• Hi @kshegunov
    Here is the full code:
    additem.h
    Addcontent function
    Thank you for your help.

• Qt Champions 2016

@gabor53
    You are hiding the class member with the function argument because they have the same name. I advise not to use the same name for local and class variables.

1. 'description' is not captured
      said that in your lambda, 'description' has not been captured... then add it on the list of captured elements: [this, captured]
      I red inside the answers that you may declare same name for function and variable... don't do that, it will generate problems for sure.
    2. QString 'description' declared here
      it is a clue for said that the answer of call this.getDescription() should be a QString (QString getDescription() const;)
      so 'description' has to be a QString (i think in private area of this). because you are not pass it, it is an undeclared new object inside your lambda function.

so give a varaible name unik and pass the variable inside your lambda by the array list [....] should fix your problem.

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.