How to use QMdiSubWindow classes ?

• Hi ,

i'm using pyqt4 and trying to make an MDI little application :

i have two script : the main one inherits from QMainWindow and the second one that inherits from QWidget : it represents the type of document my application open each time i click on Open.

i'm having trouble about two issues :

• How to send a signal from my main script to the CURRENTLY ACTIVE Widget ( even if i opened several documents ) in order to run a method that's inside the widget class ( opened document ) ?

• Isn't it possible to run the methods inside my Widget class whithout sending a signal ?
      I tried this :

self.actualWidget = self.mdiArea.activeSubWindow()
    self.actualWidget.test_method()   # test_method is just for testing if it will run 

i always get the error message :

AttributeError : 'QMdiSubWindow' has no attribute 'test_method'.

it's just as if activeSubWindow() returns a QMdiSubWindow instead of my CURRENTLY ACTIVE Widget ...

Any Help please ? !

Thanks,

• Moderators

@QtDigitex For me it is not clear how you use your QWidget derived class as MDI sub window? If you put your QWidget class in a QMdiSubWindow then you have to get it from there first and then call your methods.

• Hi ,

yes , i don't know how to do it , it's my first time . this is what i did :

i made the design of both ( Main window & documents window ( it's a QGraphicsView +
    QTableWidget for each opened file ) )Via QtDesigner , so i choosed to create a QWidget ( there's no QMdiSubWindow ) and got the py code via pyuic4.

in my secondary class i wrote :

class Window_Widget (  QWidget , Ui_Form) : # Since i choosed in QtDesigner to create a QWidget and it's name is Form ( the Ui_Form class is issued from pyuic 4 )

i think the problem comes from here , because if i change QWidget to QMdiSubWindow , the signals works greatly but the design and layouts that i made in QtDesigner breaks down ...

• Qt Champions 2016

@QtDigitex said:

QMdiSubWindow

Hi Normally , you talk to the widget you have inside the mdi window.
    If using a plain MDIwindow, then you insert your widget with
    http://doc.qt.io/qt-4.8/qmdisubwindow.html#setWidget
    and get with widget()
    And then cast to the correct type to call functions.

Alternative you derive from QMdiSubWindow and expand with new functions.

• Thank you so much ,

all the problem comes from not accessing the widget Inside my QmdiSUbWindow , the widget() method resolved the problem. Now it works perfectly , thanks.

But , can you please detail your second method , you mean that my secondary class must inherits QMdiSubWindow like this ? :

class Widget_Window ( QMdiSubWindow , Ui_Form):

the problem is that i made the design with QtDesigner and the code like this breaks all the layouts and the display. However , signals work

• Qt Champions 2016

uhh, Im python noob :)
    so not sure about syntax.

in c++, it would be
    class MyMDI : QMdiSubWindow
    Then the actual MDIsubWindow would be your type and could have extra functions.
    You would then have to new MYMDI and give to the Area with
    http://doc.qt.io/qt-5/qmdiarea.html#addSubWindow

and when using activeSubWindow, you would cast to myMDI type and call functions.
    ( talking c++, python ,might allow something else :)

• Ok Thanks

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.