Qt3D Transform{} skew uncompatible?

• I'm trying to implement the following transformation in Qt3D: fit a textured rectangle in an arbitrary quaternion.

I've found the calculation of the transformation 4x4 matrix on the internet and it works very well in 2D QtQuick. Then I tried to bring the same matrix to Qt3D and failed. From what I see Qt3D doesn't want to distort the objects same as QtQuick does. However simple affine transformations like translations, rotations and scale do work very well in Qt3D. Skew doesn't.

I don't believe Qt3D treats transformation matrices in a different way that all other frameworks. I must have missed something. Is it possible Qt3D clears certain 'non-important' matrix values?

Sources: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BxC-DMpqMeoKZkkwc1ZQM3FVNHc
    The test application has all controls to dynamically play with the matrices and transformations.

Any ideas appreciated. Thanks!

A good guide to 4x4 transformations: https://www.w3.org/TR/css-transforms-1/#mathematical-description

• Lifetime Qt Champion

Hi,

I'd recommend bringing this question to the interest mailing list. You'll find there Qt3D's developers/maintainers. This forum is more user oriented.

• Finally I've found the problem root cause:
    The Qt3D's Transform { ... } is compatible with affine transformations ONLY.
    It means you cannot load an arbitrary matrix into Transform and expect it to work.
    After receiving a matrix they decompose it to translation, rotations and scale and compose a new matrix basing on these values. Sucks.

• Moderators

@sylc Interesting. How did you find out?

• @Wieland

Looks like I will need to implement a "RawTransform { matrix: m }" QML class that would accept only a matrix and do no calculations at all.

How did I find out: Qt3D sources, file qtransform.cpp contains a matrix setter

void QTransform::setMatrix(const QMatrix4x4 &m)
    {
        Q_D(QTransform);
        if (m != matrix()) {
            d->m_matrix = m;
            d->m_matrixDirty = false;

QVector3D s;
            QVector3D t;
            QQuaternion r;
            decomposeQMatrix4x4(m, t, r, s);
            d->m_scale = s;
            d->m_rotation = r;
            d->m_translation = t;
            d->m_eulerRotationAngles = d->m_rotation.toEulerAngles();
            emit scale3DChanged(s);
            emit rotationChanged(r);
            emit translationChanged(t);

const bool wasBlocked = blockNotifications(true);
            emit matrixChanged();
            emit scaleChanged(d->m_scale.x());
            emit rotationXChanged(d->m_eulerRotationAngles.x());
            emit rotationYChanged(d->m_eulerRotationAngles.y());
            emit rotationZChanged(d->m_eulerRotationAngles.z());
            blockNotifications(wasBlocked);
        }
    }

• Hey guys, just found this thread.
    Is this related to what I found here ? https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-58987

That issue is blocking my project and apprently the Qt3D folks don't seem to be interested in fixing it.
    I definitely need to use nested meshes and be able to freely transform each submesh.
    Cheers

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.