make install - qmake

• I am seeing the instructions about how to install - build - compile and create the desired directories of a project.

First of all, I have to build the project with the command "make" (in cmd) and then the command "make install" will create the directories (for example lib/ ...)

If I start with the command "qmake", what is then the equivalent command for "make install"?

Thanks in advance.

• Lifetime Qt Champion

Hi,

qmake is used to prepare the build. The rest doesn't change.

• Hi @Konstantinos,

I like the way Wikipedia puts it:

qmake is a utility that automates the generation of Makefiles. ... therefore qmake is a make-makefile tool, or makemake for short.

In other words, qmake doesn't replace make - it complements it. Specifically, qmake generates Makefiles that you then use with the make and make install commands (or mingw32-make.exe or nmake.exe on Windows).

@Konstantinos said:

If I start with the command "qmake", what is then the equivalent command for "make install"?

The command is still make install (or mingw32-make install or nmake install on Windows).

So, since you appear to be using Windows, if you're using MinGW, you would do something like:

qmake [path-to-dot-pro-file]
    mingw32-make
    mingw32-make check
    mingw32-make install

Or if you're using MSVC:

qmake [path-to-dot-pro-file]
    nmake
    nmake check
    nmake install

Personally, on Windows, I like to wrap mingw32-make.exe and nmake.exe each in their own make.cmd scripts, and export the path to the relevant script via a local target-platform setup script. That way I can just type make on all platforms :)

Cheers.

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.