Qtimer - Problem to destroy object

• Hi All,
    Sorry for this stupid question, but i'm unable to understand this behavior. (I'm a newbie with c++ and Qt)
    This is my code :

void MainWindow::on_ResistenzeOn_clicked()
    {

countDown = new QTimer(this);
        //int val = ui->lcdSetTimer->value();
        connect(countDown,SIGNAL(timeout()),this,SLOT(countDownSlot()));
        countDown->start(1000);
        gpioWrite(OUT_RES, 1);
        ui->minutiPiu->setEnabled(false);
        ui->minutiMeno->setEnabled(false);
        ui->labelResistence->setPixmap(MainWindow::fireScaled);

}

void MainWindow::on_ResistenzeOFF_clicked()
    {

ui->minutiPiu->setEnabled(true);
        ui->minutiMeno->setEnabled(true);
        countDown->stop();
        delete countDown;
        gpioWrite(OUT_RES, 0);
        ui->labelResistence->setPixmap(MainWindow::coldScaled);

}

void MainWindow::countDownSlot() {
        static int setTime = 60;
        if((--setTime) > 0)
            ui->lcdGetResTimer->display(setTime);
        else {
            qDebug() << "sono a zero";

}

}

When i click on ResistenzeOn() the countDown start and the lcdGetResTimer display the countdown .. 59 .. 58 .. 57 ... and so on..
    But when i click ResistenzeOFF() the countDown stop, but if click again ResistenzeOn the LcdGetResTimer don't display every number but the number - 2 e.g 55 .. 53 .. 51 ..49 an so on..
    I miss something..
    Someone can help me?
    Thanks,
    Giovanni.

• Qt Champions 2016

@ciclonite

static int setTime = 60;

This line is why it's happening like this. Put the setTime variable in your class as a member variable and set it to its initial value every time you start the timer (in the on_ResistenzeOn_clicked slot).

Kind regards.

• Moderators

In on_ResistenzeOn_clicked you don't check if you already have a QTimer object. If you already have one (because you called on_ResistenzeOn_clicked before but did not call on_ResistenzeOff_clicked) then you'll have 2 running timers. Next time you'll have 3. And because you only store a pointer to one timer (always the latest one you created) you can no longer stop the ones you created previously.

• Moderators

@kshegunov Why should this be a problem in this case?

• Qt Champions 2016

@Wieland
    Why should what be a problem? If you're talking about the static variable, it shouldn't. However it's not reinitialized in the beginning of each counting cycle, which I inferred was the desired behavior from the problem description, namely: "but if click again ResistenzeOn the LcdGetResTimer don't display every number but the number - 2 e.g 55 .. 53 .. 51 ..49 an so on..". In my opinion this timer is prime candidate for being created as member of the main window, instead of being re-created on every click, and then there's no problem with hanging objects (which you correctly noted in your comment). Something like this:

class MainWindow : public QMainWindow
    {
         // ...
         QTimer countDown;
    }

or, if @ciclonite still wishes to allocate it in the heap, at least it's better to do it in the constructor:

class MainWindow : public QMainWindow
    {
        // ...
        QTimer * countDown;
    }

MainWindow::MainWindow()
        : QMainWindow(), countDown(new QTimer)
    {
    }

MainWindow::~MainWindow()
    {
        delete countDown;
    }

Kind regards.

• Moderators

@kshegunov You're right with everything you said. Of course this is all messed up and needs to be refactored like you suggested. I just thought you had spotted another, more subtile bug that I haven't noticed. :-)

• Lifetime Qt Champion

Hi,

You can also make MainWindow the parent of the timer so there's no need for the delete call in MainWindow's destructor.

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.