FFmpeg VS LibVLC VS Others

• Hello,

I am trying to create a basic media player.

But I do not want to use the MediaPlayer from Qt5 because it relies on the codecs installed on the computer.

I tried for several days to install FFmpeg in my Qt project without any success. I was kinda lost in that huge lib...

Now I start to think about LibVLC and also VLC-QT.

Which lib would you recommend ?

I know my question is kinda vague but guys I am really lost, I tried so many thing without any results ! I have never been this frustrated coding !

Thank you all !

• Qt Champions 2016

Hi
    I fooled around quickly with
    https://vlc-qt.tano.si/
    and found it pretty smooth
    It even has good samples
    https://github.com/vlc-qt/examples/tree/master/simple-player
    with a mini player to start on.

So my vote goes to VLC-QT but to be fair I have not tried FFmpeg.

Why not try to download it and see how fast u can have the example running.
    Also doc seems ok and it has custom widgets to just use.

• Lifetime Qt Champion

Hi,

To add to @mrjj there's the QtAV project that proposes to interface with ffmpeg which might be easier than writing your own backend. Working with ffmpeg and Qt is completely doable though.

• Thank you both !

I tried to use those two librairies / project.

I did not succeed.

I am used to Unix development and now I am coding on a Windows computer. For the last 2 weeks I was practicing Qt on Visual Studio but I had a lot of problem with that.

So now I use the Qt ide.

I don't really know how to use those lib with windows, I kinda miss GCC and the terminal, so simple ! Also I have a lot of trouble trying to build binaries using CMake. Even QMake does not work for VLC-QT lib.

Anyway I believe those libs work fine. I just need to find how use them properly on windows / Qt ide

• Lifetime Qt Champion

What error are you getting exactly ? What have you tried ? What has failed ?

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.