Make *.mm files compilable on all platforms

• Hello,

I have a Qt application for iOS that uses some Objective-C snippets in an Objective-C++ file (*.mm extension). Now I need to make the code compile on other platforms. I have wrapped all Objective-C lines in #ifdef Q_OS_IOS blocks, so I need to convince qmake to compile *.mm files as C++. Any idea how to do that?

I tried the following in my *.pro file:

HEADERS += \
        src/CServerCommunicator.h 

ios {
        OBJECTIVE_SOURCES += src/CServerCommunicator.mm
    }

!ios {
        SOURCES += src/CServerCommunicator.mm
    }

It does seem to compile the *.mm file as C++, but only as C++98. It's showing compile errors for things like nullptr.

• Qt Champions 2016

Hi
    on windows, I have to put
    CONFIG +=C++11
    in my pro file when using mingw to get new c++ so to speak.

• I already have the line CONFIG += C++11.

But I managed to solve this by adding QMAKE_EXT_CPP += .mm. At least on Windows this compiles fine:

HEADERS += \

ios {
    }

!ios {
        QMAKE_EXT_CPP += .mm
        SOURCES += src/CServerCommunicator.mm
    }

• Qt Champions 2016

ah super.

• Lifetime Qt Champion

Hi,

Out of curiosity, why not keep the iOS specific code in the *mm file and implement the standard c++ part in a cpp file ?

• Because

• I don't know how to do it
    • I don't see how it's better from my current solution ;-)

• Lifetime Qt Champion

HEADERS += \

ios {
    } else {
        SOURCES += src/CServerCommunicator.cpp
    }

It's better in the sense that you clearly separate building code for platform that support Objective-C++ from the others. It also makes your code easier to read and maintain for you and your team mates.

Just as an example, would you go read an Objective-C++ file if you build a library on Windows ?

• It seems an interesting idea. But most of my *.mm file contains C++ code which is used also on iOS. Having two files (mm and cpp) would mean having duplicate C++ code in both.

• Lifetime Qt Champion

Nothing forbids you to have a common file for code that is the same and two specialized files, one for iOS and one for the other platforms.

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.