Question about Threads

• Hi,

I have a question about using threads.

Until know I derived my classes form QObject and then I made a thread and moved my instances to a thread like this:

QThread* thread = new QThread;
    Worker* worker = new Worker();
    worker->moveToThread(thread);
    connect(thread, SIGNAL(started()), worker, SLOT(process()));
    connect(worker, SIGNAL(finished()), thread, SLOT(quit()));
    connect(worker, SIGNAL(finished()), worker, SLOT(deleteLater()));
    connect(thread, SIGNAL(finished()), thread, SLOT(deleteLater()));
    thread->start();

I always emitted finished and used the thread only for the function which was connected with the start signal of the thread.

Now I would like to start a thread which is running all the time while the GUI thread is running.
    The worker has several methods I would like to call from the GUI thread using signal slots.

So would it work just to do it like this:

QThread* thread = new QThread;
    Worker* worker = new Worker();
    worker->moveToThread(thread);
    thread->start();*/

//Are the following methods executed in the thread of the worker object or in the GUI thread?
    worker->method1(); 
    worker->method2();
    worker->method3(); 

If I would connect methods with the Signal-Slot-Mechanism without specifying a connection type QT would automatically use a Queued Connection, right?

Thank you very much :-)

• Moderators

//Are the following methods executed in the thread of the worker object or in the GUI thread?
    worker->method1(); 
    worker->method2();
    worker->method3();

All these calls will be executed in the thread calling them.

I would suggest to provide the connection type explicitly, so you do not do any assumption about the type Qt selects by default.

• Thanks,

this means if I use always signals and slots and specify the connection type to "QueuedConnection" the members would be executed in the worker thread which always runs in the example I provided?

• Moderators

Yes, it should be like this

• @RolBri

As an alternative, you can use QMetaObject::invokeMethod instead of signals and slots. FYI

• Thank you all very much :-)

I tested both and both works fine.
    The QMetaObject::invokeMethod is really convenient :-)

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.