Important: Please read the Qt Code of Conduct - https://forum.qt.io/topic/113070/qt-code-of-conduct

Qt creator help doesn't work

• Hi.
    When I try to access the help system in Qt creator, all I get is an error message about an URL that starts with qthelp://.
    Am I doing something wrong? Is something configured wrong? Do I need to install some kind of driver?

Ubuntu 14.04 running on a MacBook pro.

• Lifetime Qt Champion

Hi and welcome to devnet,

What version of Qt Creator ? The one from Ubuntu's package management ?

• when i go to the info window in qt creator, it gives me this info:

Qt creator 3.0.1
    based on qt 5.2.1 (gcc 4.8.2, 64 bit)
    built on 9-apr-2014

and i think i installed it using ubuntu's software center.

• Hi, installing Qt through Ubuntu's software center usually gives you less stuff than when downloading/installing from qt.io. Try these commands first:

sudo apt-get install qtbase5-examples qtbase5-doc-html

There are lots of others with the same problem :-)

• i tried that, but it didn't solve the problem. i still get this error message:

The page could not be found!
    Error loading: qthelp://org.qt-project.qtcreator.301/doc/index.html

is there some setting i have to change to make sure qt creator can find the new stuff?

• today i tried to download an online installer from qt.io. the problem here is that it gives me a .run file. so what do i do with that? double-clicking it brings up a dialog asking which app to feed it to. using the terminal gives eually unproductive and annoying results. so how do i install qt creator in a way that lets me use all its features, including the built-in help?

• Lifetime Qt Champion

chmod +x name_of_the_installer.run
    ./name_of_the_installer.run

And you should be good to go

• wow, that was fast.
    i'll try that. hope it works

• looks like it does. downloading now. thanks.