Important: Please read the Qt Code of Conduct - https://forum.qt.io/topic/113070/qt-code-of-conduct

QWebEngineCore - dyld not loaded

• I'm trying to deploy an app that is using QWebEngine on OSX.

The app run fine inside QtCreator,
    but once I use macdeployqt and try to run it from there, I get this error on runtime :

dyld: Library not loaded: @executable_path/../Frameworks/QtQuick.framework/Versions/5/QtQuick
    Referenced from: /Users/tourlou2/build-PowerVelo2-Desktop_Qt_5_4_1_clang_64bit-Release/MaximumTrainer.app/Contents/Frameworks/QtWebEngineCore.framework/Versions/5/QtWebEngineCore
    Reason: image not found

My QWebEngineView is also black and not working.
    I checked and the QtQuick reference is good and the library is there.. not sure why I get this error

• Lifetime Qt Champion

Hi,

Check with otool -L where it's look for its dependencies

• Hi,

Did you figure out anything on this?

I have one project that uses QtWebKit that builds fine with 5.4.2 and another with QtWebEngine that has this bug.

Thanks,
    Jimmy

• Lifetime Qt Champion

Hi and welcome to devnet,

Can you run otool -L on it and post the result ?

• @Jimmy

Haven't had time to experiment more with QWebEngine on OSX.
    Will let you know next time I try. I'm still using QWebKit until some feature I need comes with QWebEngine.

• I've just started using QWebEngine (5.5.0) and I'm running into the same problem on mac. When I try to using QWebEngineView, I get the following runtime error:

dyld: Library not loaded: @executable_path/../Frameworks/QtQuick.framework/Versions/5/QtQuick
    Referenced from
    /svn/dev/trunk/build/svl/mac/Release-5.5/MyApp.app/Contents/Frameworks/QtWebEngineCore.framework/Versions/5/QtWebEngineCore
    Reason: image not found

Not sure why, though. QtQuick.framework is there:

$> ls Contents/Frameworks | grep Quick
    QtQuick.framework

and looks good with otool:

$> otool -L Contents/Frameworks/QtQuick.framework/Versions/5/QtQuick
    Contents/Frameworks/QtQuick.framework/Versions/5/QtQuick:
    @executable_path/../Frameworks/QtQuick.framework/Versions/5/QtQuick (compatibility version 5.5.0, current version 5.5.0)
    @executable_path/../Frameworks/QtGui.framework/Versions/5/QtGui (compatibility version 5.5.0, current version 5.5.0)
    @executable_path/../Frameworks/QtCore.framework/Versions/5/QtCore (compatibility version 5.5.0, current version 5.5.0)
    /System/Library/Frameworks/DiskArbitration.framework/Versions/A/DiskArbitration (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 1.0.0)
    /System/Library/Frameworks/IOKit.framework/Versions/A/IOKit (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 275.0.0)
    @executable_path/../Frameworks/QtQml.framework/Versions/5/QtQml (compatibility version 5.5.0, current version 5.5.0)
    @executable_path/../Frameworks/QtNetwork.framework/Versions/5/QtNetwork (compatibility version 5.5.0, current version 5.5.0)
    /System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework/Versions/A/OpenGL (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 1.0.0)
    /System/Library/Frameworks/AGL.framework/Versions/A/AGL (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 1.0.0)
    /usr/lib/libc++.1.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 120.0.0)
    /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 1213.0.0)

This is very strange. I would love to know if anyone makes any progress/discoveries with this problem on OS X.

• I've made some discoveries that may be of help. I noticed that QtWebEngineCore.framework has other binaries into it besides Versions/5/QtWebEngineCore such as

Versions/5/Helpers/QtWebEngineProcess.app/Contents/MacOS/QtWebEngineProcess
    SimVirtualLabs.app/Contents/Frameworks/QtWebEngineCore.framework/Versions/5/Libraries/ffmpegsumo.so

I also noticed that the prebuilt 5.5.0 binaries from Qt use @rpath instead @excutable_path or an absolute path.

otool -L lib/QtCore.framework/Versions/5/QtCore
    lib/QtCore.framework/Versions/5/QtCore:
    @rpath/QtCore.framework/Versions/5/QtCore (compatibility version 5.5.0, current version 5.5.0)
    /System/Library/Frameworks/DiskArbitration.framework/Versions/A/DiskArbitration (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 1.0.0)

I'm not how the macdeployqt works since I have own script to move/prepare the Qt frameworks but I've always used the install_name_tool to create paths using @executable_path like:

@executable_path/../Frameworks/QtQuick.framework/Versions/5/QtQuick

However, if leave the install name paths alone for the prebuilt binaries (that use @rpath) and add the following to my Xcode target settings:

Linker -> Runtime Search Paths : @executable_path/../Frameworks

Then I don't get the runtime load error and everything seems to work. I don't understand the nitty-gritty about why this works (anyone want to chime in) but hopefully this information will help somebody get QWebEngine working on OS X.