[guide] how-to build Qt for Visual Studio 2010

• After a lot of reading and trial and error, I could finally build Qt for VS2010, which works perfectly.

I wrote a quick guide about it here (with link to Qt DevNet Forums in the references):
    http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5601950/how-to-build-qt-for-visual-studio-2010

Feel free to correct me on parts where you feel I'm wrong (especially on the configure flags).

• Hi zsero,

could you also make a "wiki page for our wiki":http://developer.qt.nokia.com/wiki for that?

• Hi,

I am currently working on a serious qt project which was successfully built and developed previously in Linux with Qt4.5.x version on windows vista 64 bit machine using visual studio 2008.

And now I would like to continue my development on windows 7 home premium, 64 bit machine(Dell INSPRON laptop) with visual studio 2010(RTM) installed.

So I have recently downloaded qt-win-opensource-4.8.4-vs2010.exe from qt website and followed the instructions in this *"LINK":http://doc.qt.digia.com/4.7/install-win.html * .

Then i did a cmake(version: 2.8) to my project source code and it was successfully generated a new build for VS2010 WIn64. so i have opened and tried building my visual studio 2010 project solution file from my new build but it is giving me a

fatal error:LNK1112: module machine type 'X86' conflicts with target machine type 'x64', QtOpenGLd4.lib(QtOpenGLd4.dll).

Also

I have checked my VS2010-properties dialogue, Platform dropdown to "Active(x64)".

In the "Configuration Manager..." in the top right, selected the platform to x64.

went to Project Properties->Configuration Properties->Linker->Advanced->set the "Target Machine Platform" to MachineX64

(/MACHINE:X64).

So just for testing qt.8.4 on VS2010,

• i have just created one simple project using qt4 VS plugin like File->qt projects-> and started debugging it.it was working fine for 32bit platform and giving the output a sample GUI window.
    • Again, just to test for 64bit platform,This time i have tried my setting my target platform to 64 bit by Right clicking on the project->Qt project settings->version(4.8.4) in properies->ok.
    • Also went to Project Properties->Configuration Properties->Linker->Advanced->set the "Target Machine Platform" to MachineX64 (/MACHINE:X64).
    • Then i debug the program, but it is not tagetting to 64bit platform and giving me the error saying that i have to set the qt version again.i went to qt settings again and checked it, there is no version number there?

just for testing my VS2010,

• I have created a simple hello world project and targeted to 64bit platform and debegged it. It is absolutely working fine.
    • And i am able to debug and test all my sample Opengl programs targeting to 64bit.

Moreover i have updated my VS2010 ultimate to sevice pack 1, still the same fatal error:LNK1112: module machine type 'X86' conflicts with target machine type 'x64', QtOpenGLd4.lib(QtOpenGLd4.dll).

Finally I have come accross this link: http://www.holoborodko.com/pavel/2011/02/01/how-to-compile-qt-4-7-with-visual-studio-2010/. but seems to be complicated for me to do as these istructions are using perl :

I couldn't able to figure it out , is this the problem with qt version i am using or the Visual studio version?or some compatibility issues with OpenGL? Can somebody please share your thoughts on this and help me?

Also please let me know is there a best way that i can build and develop my previous cmake buld projects developed with qt4.5.x using newer qt versions in windows7 64bit with supported Visual Studio versions?

Thanks in advance
    Regards
    Kumar

• Lifetime Qt Champion

Hi,

The package you downloaded is built for 32bit. To have a 64bit Qt version, you have to download the source package (zip file) and build it yourself.

Once downloaded and uncompressed (I would recommend c:\Qt\4.8.4):

• start a 64bit command line (IIRC You can find it in the start menu/visual studio/tools)
    • cd to the directory where you uncompressed Qt's sources
    • run configure
    • nmake (if you have QtCreator installed you can also run jom which will parallelize the build)

You should be all good

Hope it helps

• Thanks SGaint,

I have download the source package (zip file) and followed your steps in your previous post. Now, It is perfectly configured to visual studio 2010 on my windows 7 64 bit laptop.I am able to build and run qt example projects.

But when i try to debug my qt project(mentioned in my previous post) with visual studio 2010.
    It is giving an error:the application was unable to start correctly(0xc0150002). Click ok to close the application. And in the debug output window is saying about .pdb files. which is given below.

'GUI.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\ntdll.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
    'GUI.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\kernel32.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
    'GUI.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\KernelBase.dll', Symbols loaded (source information stripped).
    'GUI.exe': Loaded 'C:\Qt\4.8.4\bin\QtOpenGLd4.dll', Symbols loaded.
    'GUI.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\opengl32.dll', Symbols loaded (source information stripped).
    'GUI.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\msvcrt.dll', Symbols loaded (source information stripped).
    'GUI.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\advapi32.dll', Symbols loaded (source information stripped).
    'GUI.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\sechost.dll', Symbols loaded (source information stripped).
    'GUI.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\rpcrt4.dll', Symbols loaded (source information stripped).
    'GUI.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\gdi32.dll', Symbols loaded (source information stripped).
    'GUI.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\user32.dll', Symbols loaded (source information stripped).
    'GUI.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\lpk.dll', Symbols loaded (source information stripped).
    'GUI.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\usp10.dll', Symbols loaded (source information stripped).
    'GUI.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\glu32.dll', Symbols loaded (source information stripped).
    'GUI.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\ddraw.dll', Symbols loaded (source information stripped).
    'GUI.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\dciman32.dll', Symbols loaded (source information stripped).
    'GUI.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\setupapi.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
    'GUI.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\cfgmgr32.dll', Symbols loaded (source information stripped).
    'GUI.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\oleaut32.dll', Symbols loaded (source information stripped).
    'GUI.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\ole32.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
    'GUI.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\devobj.dll', Symbols loaded (source information stripped).
    'GUI.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\dwmapi.dll', Symbols loaded (source information stripped).
    'GUI.exe': Loaded 'C:\Qt\4.8.4\bin\QtGuid4.dll', Symbols loaded.
    'GUI.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\comdlg32.dll', Symbols loaded (source information stripped).
    'GUI.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\shlwapi.dll', Symbols loaded (source information stripped).
    'GUI.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\winsxs\amd64_microsoft.windows.common-controls_6595b64144ccf1df_5.82.7601.17514_none_a4d6a923711520a9\comctl32.dll', Symbols loaded (source information stripped).
    'GUI.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\shell32.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
    'GUI.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\imm32.dll', Symbols loaded (source information stripped).
    'GUI.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\msctf.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
    'GUI.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\winmm.dll', Symbols loaded (source information stripped).
    'GUI.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\winspool.drv', Symbols loaded (source information stripped).
    'GUI.exe': Loaded 'C:\Qt\4.8.4\bin\QtCored4.dll', Symbols loaded.
    'GUI.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\ws2_32.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
    'GUI.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\nsi.dll', Symbols loaded (source information stripped).
    'GUI.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\msvcp100d.dll', Symbols loaded (source information stripped).
    'GUI.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\msvcr100d.dll', Symbols loaded (source information stripped).
    'GUI.exe': Loaded 'C:\Qt\4.8.4\bin\QtSvgd4.dll', Symbols loaded.
    'GUI.exe': Loaded 'C:\Qt\4.8.4\bin\QtWebKitd4.dll', Symbols loaded.
    'GUI.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\version.dll', Symbols loaded (source information stripped).
    'GUI.exe': Loaded 'C:\Qt\4.8.4\bin\QtNetworkd4.dll', Symbols loaded.
    'GUI.exe': Loaded 'C:\Qt\4.8.4\bin\QtXmld4.dll', Symbols loaded.
    'GUI.exe': Loaded 'E:\Software Dump\OpenGL\GL\GLEW\bin\glew32d.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
    The program '[5756] GUI.exe: Native' has exited with code -1072365566 (0xc0150002).

I assume this may be something to do with VS2010 symbols.Can somebody please help on this?I am new to visual studio 2010?

• Lifetime Qt Champion

For system dlls it's normal that the symbols are not found.
    IIRC, it's a library missing error. Do you use 3rd party dlls ? If so, is your PATH updated so that they can be found ?

• I am using OpenGL libraries like GLEW, GLUT. And also using Boost libraries!.
    And i have already updated the path for QTDIR, GLEWDIR, GLUTDIR, BOOST_ROOT.

But in my System properties->Environment variables,
    QMAKESPEC variable value is showing: C:\Qt\4.8.4\mkspecs\win32-msvc2010 , is that a problem?

And my path variable in System properties->Environment variables was updated to:

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live;C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live;%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem;%SYSTEMROOT%\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0;C:\Program Files\Dell\DW WLAN Card;C:\Program Files (x86)\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\Core-Static;C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Live\Shared;C:\Program Files (x86)\QuickTime\QTSystem;C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Tools\Binn;C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Tools\Binn;C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\DTS\Binn;c:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Tools\Binn\VSShell\Common7\IDE;c:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\100\DTS\Binn;C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\AGL;C:\Program Files (x86)\CMake 2.8/bin;%QTDIR%\bin;%GLUTDIR%\bin;%GLEWDIR%\bin;c:\qmake\bin

Moreover, i have included my GL,Qt and C++ Boost libraries to my project through
    project properties->VC++ Directories->Library Directories also in
    Linker->Input->Additional dependencies

debugged it, still It is giving an error:the application was unable to start correctly(0xc0150002). Click ok to close the application.

• Lifetime Qt Champion

What about boost ? Is it in your PATH ?

As a side note, you can also play with the PATH variable content in the RUN panel

• i have updated the path for Boost libraries as well, and debugged my project in vs2010....still It is giving an error:the application was unable to start correctly(0xc0150002). Click ok to close the application.

Here is my path variable:
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live;C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live;%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem;%SYSTEMROOT%\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0;C:\Program Files\Dell\DW WLAN Card;C:\Program Files (x86)\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\Core-Static;C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Live\Shared;C:\Program Files (x86)\QuickTime\QTSystem;C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Tools\Binn;C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Tools\Binn;C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\DTS\Binn;c:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Tools\Binn\VSShell\Common7\IDE;c:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\100\DTS\Binn;C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\AGL;C:\Program Files (x86)\CMake 2.8/bin;%QTDIR%\bin;%GLUTDIR%\bin;%GLEWDIR%\bin;c:\qmake\bin;C:\Users\Desktop\boost_1_53_0

• Lifetime Qt Champion

You can with Dependency Walker, see if gives you some additional informations about missing libraries or something else

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.