QFileDialog::getOpenFileName() hangs in Windows when using the native dialog

• Hi,

I'm using QT 5.3.1 and I noticed that my program hangs in Windows 7 (64bit) with following arguments to the function.

QString fileName = QFileDialog::getOpenFileName(this, tr("Open File"),
    "/home",
    tr("Images (*.png *.xpm *.jpg)"));

However, if I use the option QFileDialog::DontUseNativeDialog, then it won't hang and will show the non-native file open dialog. I would prefer to use the native windows dialog so can anyone tell me if this is a bug or not?

• Lifetime Qt Champion

Hi and welcome to devnet,

Strange but are you aware that you are trying to open a probably non existent folder ? There's no /home on windows. However you can use QDir::home() to get the current user home path

• Yes, this is just an example syntax for this post.
    My syntax is as follows:

fileName = QFileDialog::getOpenFileName(this,
    tr("Select file"),
    QString(),
    tr("Files (*.cvs *.svf *.txt)"));

• Lifetime Qt Champion

Do you have any network drive ?

• No I don't. I just have a C:\ drive and couple of removable drives, which are not active.
    This problem was reproduced on another PC other than mine.

[quote author="SGaist" date="1418598787"]Do you have any network drive ?[/quote]

• Lifetime Qt Champion

Which version of Windows ?

• It is Windows 7 Professional (64bit).

Looking at the history of Qt, I think this possibly has been a bug for some time (possibly since QT4)....
    I have seen at least 1 reported case of this sort of behaviour....

[quote author="SGaist" date="1418678949"]Which version of Windows ?[/quote]

• @SGaist

I have just recently migrated a project I am working on to Qt5.4.1 from Qt4.8.5, and I am having the same problem as reported by kasunf.

A call to getOpenFileName hangs - using QFileDialog::DontUseNativeDialog gets it working, but I'll prefer to use te native windows dialog. The code snippet is shown below:

m_imageFile = QFileDialog::getOpenFileName(this, tr("Open Image"), QDir::homePath(), tr("Image Files (*.png *.jpg *.bmp)"), 0, QFileDialog::DontUseNativeDialog); //works

m_imageFile = QFileDialog::getOpenFileName(this, tr("Open Image"), QDir::homePath(), tr("Image Files (*.png *.jpg *.bmp)")); //does not work

Program control does not seem to return from this function call. Has this issue been resolved? My system specifications are as follows:

Windows7 64bit
    Visual Studio 2010
    Qt5.4.1_opengl

PS: I did not have this problem with Qt4.8.5

Thanks,

• Lifetime Qt Champion

Do you mean that when you click OK the dialog disappear but your application doesn't do anything ?

• @SGaist Nope, that is not what I mean.

The open fIle dialog does not appear at all - as though my application is waiting for it to appear. After investigations it turns out that it seems to hang in the call to

QFileDialog::getOpenFileName(...)

As I indicated, a call to QFileDialog::getOpenFileName(...) using the flag QFileDialog::DontUseNativeDialog returns from the function call, but the same function call without using the flag does not return.

I will like to use it without the flag. Also, I didn't have this problem in Qt4.8.5.

Please this is the same problem as first reported on this post. I just need to know what the status of this issue is.

PS: I am interested in purchasing a commercial license for Qt5, but I need to make sure that my project works in Qt5 before going ahead with the purchase.

Thanks,

• Lifetime Qt Champion

Which compiler are you using ? Just tested with VS2013 on Win 8 and no problem with the dialog.

• Facing exactly same problem on Windows 7 pro (64-bit) with Qt5.5 MSVS2010 Professional with Qt Add-in.

• Qt Champions 2016

win 7. 64 bit, Qt 5.5, "gcc"
    No hanging at all.
    So maybe only VS?

Please Try with QFileDialog::DontUseCustomDirectoryIcons
    As i had case where it would take ages due to subversion overlay icons.

• I have used most of the Qt versions mentioned in this thread and never had a problem with using the getOpenFileName(...) member function with native dialogs. I have always used MinGW for Windows so maybe this problem is unique to Visual Studio?

• @SGaist said:

Do you have any network drive ?

I have a problem using the functions QFileDialog::getSaveFileName and QFileDialog::getOpenFileName on a PC with many network drives. Could you please help on this? Thanks.

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.