Displaying Japanese characters in Qt

• Dear all,

I am trying to display Japanse characters on my display using QPainter. I followed the below approaches

1, Set the QFont to "japanse", set font size to 24 and font set as bold, (pasted the code snippet below) I expected the output to be displayed in white colour with a blue outline and with the above mentioned font parameters, but the text was displayed in blue colour with a lesser font size and was not bold.

2, I tried as per mentioned in the post http://qt-project.org/forums/viewthread/32704 but I am getting junk characters in the display.

Regards,

Jis

@
    QPainter * painter1;
    QFont m_textFont;
    QPen m_bluepen;
    QBrush m_whiteBrush;
    this->m_textFont.setPointSize(24); //increased text font size from 21 to 23 for error messages and date and time
    this->m_textFont.setBold(true);
    this->m_textFont.setFamily("japanese");
    whitepath.addText(20,400,this->m_textFont,QString::fromUtf8("警察は、バックステー"));
    whitepath.addText(20,400,this->m_textFont,obj_verbalWarning.message_id);
    painter1->setPen(this->m_bluepen);
    painter1->setBrush(this->m_whiteBrush);
    painter1->drawPath(whitepath);
    @

[edit: Added missing coding tags @ SGaist]

• Moderators

Hi, and welcome to the Qt Dev Net!

[quote]
    @
    QString::fromUtf8("警察は、バックステー");
    @
    [/quote]This requires your .cpp file to be encoded in UTF-8. Have you checked that you have saved it in UTF-8, and not SHIFT-JIS or something else?

Also, what OS and compiler are you using?

• Hi JKSH,

We are using linux (Kernel version 2.6.35) and gcc compiler.
    The file is saved in UTF-8-BOM encoding.

Regards,

Jis

• Hi JKSH,

We followed the approach 2 as mentioned above and used the font "osaka.unicode" instead of "katakana", now we are able to display the japanese characters on our screen.

Regards,
    Jis

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.