std::thread serverThread(&Server::run, server);
    serverThread.detach();

return a.exec&#40;&#41;;

}
    @

In the serverThread, I:

• create a QTcpServer,
    • wait for a new connection,
    • connect the QTcpSocket::readyRead() signal to a custom slot.

But for some reason, QTcpSocket::readyRead() is not emitted when new data is available.
    However, when I put QTcpSocket::waitForReadyRead() right after the socket acceptance (QTcpServer::nextPendingConnection()), the signal is emitted.

So I have two questions:

Is it because the event loop is running in the main thread and not in the thread in which the QTcpSocket object lives?

If so, why does calling QTcpSocket::waitForReadyRead() emit the signal?

Thank you.

• Lifetime Qt Champion

Hi,

1. Indeed, you have QThread that you can use for your purpose.
    2. Could be using an internal EventLoop somewhere

Anyway, why are you creating a secondary thread in this application ? It doesn't seem needed.

• [quote author="SGaist" date="1410984725"]Hi,

1. Indeed, you have QThread that you can use for your purpose.[/quote]I need to call QThread::exec() to actually start an event loop in that thread, right? Forcing me to subclass QThread as QThread::exec() is protected.
      Otherwise I could use a QEventLoop I guess.

[quote author="SGaist" date="1410984725"]2. Could be using an internal EventLoop somewhere[/quote]Yes, probably...

[quote author="SGaist" date="1410984725"]Anyway, why are you creating a secondary thread in this application ? It doesn't seem needed.[/quote]The code above is just a minimalist example.

• Lifetime Qt Champion

Before subclassing, please take a look at the latest QThread documentation. You have there the explanation of the various techniques that you can use with QThread.

• [quote author="SGaist" date="1411026277"]Before subclassing, please take a look at the latest QThread documentation. You have there the explanation of the various techniques that you can use with QThread.[/quote]Indeed the doc' states that "By default, run() starts the event loop by calling exec() and runs a Qt event loop inside the thread."

I had a look at the "Blocking Fortune Client Example":http://qt-project.org/doc/qt-5/qtnetwork-blockingfortuneclient-example.html and they also call QTcpSocket::waitForReadyRead() before QTcpSocket::bytesAvailable().
    I assume it's the right way to do it (along with using QThread) and that, as you said, it must process the events, maybe with an internal event loop.

Thank you.

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.