Change pressAndHold Timeout

• Hi,

i use the MouseAreas pressAndHold signal alot for drag and drop purposes.
    The docs say that the timerout is currently set to 800 ms. But i couldn't find a way to
    change the time after that the signal is emitted.

Is there a way to change that ?

Because if you have a lot of drag and drop going on the timeout seems a bit anoying.

Thanks guys.

• You implement drag and drop by your own? Why you don't use drag property? Or is there also a timeout to start the drag?

• I had to implement it by my own because of my application structure.
    I couldn't just drag an object around because I had to drop it to completely different object structures. Thats why i instantiate dedicated drag objects.

Its a bit tricky to explain.

So I used the pressAndHold signal to create a new draggable object.

• Hmmm, ok and what if you implement this also by your own? With pressed signal start a timer, with released stop it. And if the timer has a value that you like, send your own signal?

• ok that is one way to do it. so if there is no way to just change the timeout i could go to every part for the drag and drop handling and do it all by hand.

• Lifetime Qt Champion

Hi,

From a quick look at the source code, it seems to be a hardcoded value

• Where i can find the source? Sorry but every time i google for MouseArea only found examples but not the source itself.

• Moderators

Seems already requested. Check "this":https://bugreports.qt-project.org/browse/QTBUG-24793

• Moderators

bq. Where i can find the source?

If you have source installed, goto <QtDir>/5.3/Src/qtbase/src/gui/kernel/qplatformtheme.cpp and check QPlatformTheme::defaultThemeHint(ThemeHint hint)

• Thanks SGaist,

you're right its still hard coded.

case MousePressAndHoldInterval:
        return QVariant(800);

It would be nice if we were be to customize these settings in a future release.
    Because they have a huge impact on the user experience.

To bad that this can't be overwritten.
    Guess i have to wait for a user response to decide whether or not i'm going to implement this all by myself.

Thanks guys.

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.