Designer Error: qmlpuppet cannot be built

• Hi there,

I am getting this error when I open the designer saying that the qmlpuppet cannot be built. This is the main thing I want to use as I am doing development in QML.

I read some threads on here that said I needed to build qmlpuppet so I tried to do that but it failed.

I am running Ubuntu Gnome 14.04.1 with Qt Creator 3.2.0 (opensource) installed to /opt/qtoss.

Here are the commands I ran to try to build qmlpuppet, flying blind (the lack of a how to is very frustrating and there is nothing on google about this or how to fix the error):

@
    cd /opt/qtoss/Tools/QtCreator/share/qtcreator/qml/qmlpuppet
    qmake -makefile
    qmake -o Makefile qmlpuppet.pro
    make clean
    make
    @

It looked like it was going OK at the start, building the files with g++, however the last few lines of output looked like this:

@
    container/sharedmemory_qt.cpp: In member function ‘QString QmlDesigner::SharedMemory::errorString() const’:
    container/sharedmemory_qt.cpp:115:1: warning: control reaches end of non-void function [-Wreturn-type]
    }
    ^
    make: *** [sharedmemory_qt.o] Error 1
    @

There were lots of errors about that sharedmemory_qt.cpp file.

I have build-essential installed as well as a few other TCL packages from the distribution repos.

Any ideas?

Cheers

• Lifetime Qt Champion

Hi and welcome to devnet,

Looking at the source of both 3.2 and master, sharedmemory_qt.cpp looks clean. What does yours look like at the line 115 ?

• Thanks for the quick reply, this is what my sharedmemory_qt.cpp looks like starting at like 111:

@
    // <-- 111
    QString SharedMemory::errorString() const
    {
    return m_sharedMemory.errorString();
    } //<--- 115

} // namespace QmlDesigner

// EOF
    @

Any ideas?

• Lifetime Qt Champion

Strange, that looks correct...

• Could it be something to do with the packages I have installed on my PC? It doesn't seem that the .run package I downloaded contains all the necessary software because I was able to fix some other errors by installing some Qt packages from the Ubuntu repos.

But so far I am yet to find one that would fix this problem.

Can I build qmlpuppet independently of the install in /opt/qtoss?

• Lifetime Qt Champion

I don't known which package you downloaded/installed so I can't really answer.

• Yea I might just reinstall the whole OS, it's running pretty shit anyway.

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.