[solved] Need help running my .exe and deploying app--MinGW 4.8 32 bit

• Hello, First my goal we to get my app running on another Windows 7 PC, but then I discovered that the .exe will not even run on the PC where I do the development, so I need help with both of these issues. Here is what I have:

Windows 7 Enterprise
    Qt Creator 3.0.1
    "Based on Qt 5.2.1 (MSVC 2010, 32 bit)"

From my kit:
    Compiler: MinGW 4.8 32 bit
    Qt version: Qt 5.2.1 MinGW 32bit

I am using Qt Creator, not Visual Studio. When I try to start the .exe, I get "The program can't start because Qt5Core.dll is missing from your computer..." I have searched and found many answers, but don't know which applies to me. Please help. For now I will start copying the dll's it complains about into my .exe folder.
    Thanks
    Ron

• Lifetime Qt Champion

Hi,

Have a look this "wiki entry":http://qt-project.org/wiki/Deploy_an_Application_on_Windows for deployment.

• Thanks SGaist, I hadn't found that page. I got it working just by copying the DLL's that it complained about from the Qt installation into my release folder, was only 9 of them. I suppose with the Digia-licensed version, you can build an exe with no dependencies, is that how it works?

Thanks again.
    Ron

• Lifetime Qt Champion

It depends on what you mean by dependencies (only Qt ?), but you can build a static version of Qt and also your application as static.

• You mean only with the fully-licensed version, right? Not with LGPL.

I just mean dependencies on the Qt libraries. I'm not using any other DLL's or anything. By static binding, does this mean a stand-alone EXE?

• Lifetime Qt Champion

I am not a lawyer so for licensing issues you should either contact one or talk with Digia directly.

Yes, you'll only have a dependency on VS runtime but it's normal and it's better to keep it so.

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.