Qt systray icon fails to load, causing X to blink and spam error

• Hi, this is my first post here and it is in regards to a qt5 base app that is a gui for connman internet manager. The author released this software on his github below
    https://github.com/andrew-bibb/cmst

I am hoping to help the author by asking this forum and hopefully someone can give a lead on where to look.

When running the app ./cmst an error message saying QXcbWindow: Unhandled client message: "_NET_SYSTEM_TRAY_S0"
    Video of this error can be found http://frankshin.com/files/videos/cmst1.mkv

If I run the app with the "-d" flag which disables the systray icon from showing, the app works fine and displays the Qt window.

The author responded with "That information did help. I don't know for sure, but I have a theory. For QT the system tray implementation for X11 must be freedesktop.org compliant. I've looked at the freedesktop specification and they define the following hints: _NET_WM_NAME, WM_CLASS, _NET_WM_ICON, _NET_SYSTEM_TRAY_ORIENTATION.
    I then went to suckless.org site to see if they state anywhere that their tray is freedesktop.org compliant. Didn't find an answer to that one way or the other, but I did look at the code for their system tray and on line 459 found this hint: _NET_SYSTEM_TRAY_S0. My theory is that the system tray may not be strictly freedesktop.org compliant, or perhaps it expands upon the basic compliance and QT can't handle the expansion.
    I have revised the sources to check for a systemtray before we try to access it. I want to temporarily remove the tray from my system so I can test the new pieces. Once I've tested it it will be part of the package I'm planning to put out this weekend (actually on github now, but as I said, untested). I'm hoping that will let us work around the problem, but if QT recognizes the suckless.org tray, thereby passing my check, but chokes trying to put an icon there I may have to fall back to another commandline switch that will force the program to not use a systemtray."

This issue seems to only happen to me as the rest of the users of this app are running a DE. I am running only DWM as my WM and my github for DWM is at https://github.com/frank604/dwm

Other systray icons do work for me. Simplescreenrecorder, steam, clipit, dropbox, and caffeine.

• Lifetime Qt Champion

Hi and welcome to devnet,

Since this question is a going a bit low-level, I would recommend posting in on the interest mailing list (don't forget to subscribe first). You'll find there Qt's developers/maintainers (this forum is more user oriented)

• Hi SGalst, thank you for the redirection. I wasn't sure to post in the threads from the beginning because as you pointed out, it is a low-level question. Much appreciated.

• Lifetime Qt Champion

You're welcome !

There's nothing wrong posting low-level questions at all, they are just less likely to get answered.

There's only a few (very few) Qt dev that are around here.

• Lifetime Qt Champion

By the way, if you find anything, please report it here, so other interested people can follow

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.