[SOLVED] user settings file and collaborative work
Reading "this old closed feature request":https://bugreports.qt-project.org/browse/QTCREATORBUG-7888 I think of basic project situation which I work with right now:
- I develop a custom Qt plugin
- I have to copy my dll to a specific folder for execution by a plugins host
- I have to run a custom executable to launch this plugins host program and use my custom plugin
- An environment variable is used for base path of commands configured in build/run settings
So if anyone else works on project it would be fine that:
- when reconfiguring project since his/her kit is slightly different from mine, all the other things are kept (build/run custom commands). I didn't verify what happens
- timestamp change wouldn't be effective so often, only when there are modifications, this would be better when working with version control.
So my suggestion is to move commands to another file than the user settings, surely in a custom syntax in .pro file. This way we could also have build/run commands way more flexible (use of environment variables, not just elimited to %sourceDir% and %buildDir%).
And keep other things in .pro.user that would be safely ignored by version control without loosing information.
This idea came to me immediately after playing with build/run settings, I told myself, duh this is not as convenient as in Visual Studio (where I daily practice C#).
Just my two cents :-)
Thanks for reading.
You should bring this discussion to the Qt-Creator "mailing list":http://lists.qt-project.org/mailman/listinfo/qt-creator you'll find there Qt-Creator's developers/maintainers (this forum is more user oriented)
Thanks, just posted there. So if people are interested :-)
I just got an answer, the answer is here : use .pro.shared files! Just fine...
Since you had a working answer, please update the thread title prepending [solved] so other forum users may know that a solution has been found :)