Qt 5.2.1 fails to build on OS X

• Although configure seems to work perfectly, running make results in errors almost immediately:

Project WARNING: You should probably load(qt_build_config) first in bootstrap.pro for QtBootstrap, as the latter also load()s qt_module.
    Project MESSAGE: Not doing so may lead to qt_module.prf overriding compiler/linker options in your .pro file.
    Project MESSAGE: Ignore this warning with CONFIG+=no_qt_module_warning if you know what you are doing.
    Project ERROR: Module does not define version.
    make[2]: *** [sub-bootstrap-make_first] Error 3
    make[1]: *** [sub-src-make_first] Error 2
    make: *** [module-qtbase-make_first] Error 2

I'm running this on OS X 10.8.5 with XCode 5.0 installed.
    Options to configure were the following: -opensource -arch x86_64 -debug-and-release -no-framework -confirm-license

Has anyone successfully built Qt 5.2.1 from source on OS X?

• Lifetime Qt Champion

Hi and welcome to devnet,

Which source did you use ? Git ? Package ? If the later, zip or tar.bz2 ?

• One thing that i notice is the use of the -arch switch. In Qt5 that switch is ignored and has been replaced with -platform. That probably isn't the cause of your problem, but I thought I would let you know.

• I just built qt 5.2.1 with the following configure. I know its not the same, but this configuration worked.

@
    /configure -debug-and-release -nomake examples -nomake tests -platform macx-clang-32 -skip qtwebkit -skip qtwebkit-examples
    @

• Any reason you want '-no-framework' ? I built it on many different machines with similar config, except for that one.

• I've changed my configure options to

configure -opensource -debug-and-release -nomake examples -nomake tests -skip qtwebkit-examples -no-framework -confirm-license

but still no luck. I can't skip qtwebkit as I need webkit. As for the no-framework: it has a reason but I can't remember what it was and removing that option doesn't make a difference; the error still occurs.

• Are you running just make or make -j(some number)?

• [quote author="steno" date="1392824203"]Are you running just make or make -j(some number)?[/quote]

I've tried both "make -j9" and simply "make" with no difference.

Is there some way to raise the verbosity of the build process? (I tried "make -d" but that generates output for debugging make)
    Or another way to pinpoint the source of the problem?

For info: Qt 4.8.4 is installed (built from source and then installed using "make install") in /usr/local/Trolltech/Qt-4.8.4 but that shouldn't make a difference.

• All I can think of is that you have non standard tools in your PATH (macports, fink, etc) or you are not building from a clean source tree (and make confclean does not give you a clean source tree, delete and extract the tar.gz again).

Like I said, I've build Qt5.2.1, with latest OS and latest Xcode many times.

• [quote author="sandy.martel" date="1392893567"]All I can think of is that you have non standard tools in your PATH (macports, fink, etc) or you are not building from a clean source tree (and make confclean does not give you a clean source tree, delete and extract the tar.gz again).

Like I said, I've build Qt5.2.1, with latest OS and latest Xcode many times.[/quote]

I've deleted my entire source tree several times already, so that can't be the cause.

I don't remember installing either fink or macports. How do I check if one of those is installed? Btw wouldn't that generate problems when building other code as well?

• I tried to build on a dedicated build machine which has no software installed except OS X 10.8.5, XCode 5.0, cmake 2.8.8, TextWrangler and perforce client tools and the same error occurs.

• It's now building at last (let's hope it finishes successfully).

It appears some files were missing after all: the hidden files (like .qmake.conf) didn't make it into my cvs and as such didn't make it to my build folder.

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.