Using QDoc how can i append (not overwrite) content from a .qdoc file to content generated from .cpp files?

• To begin, yes Ive been studying the QDoc help at http://doc-snapshot.qt-project.org/qdoc/qdoc-index.html, but i still have a lot of questions about the documentation process. The most critical one is in this topic title. The help implies I should be able to do this, but when i attempt to do so, i get a file created with the name Collision-myQMLType.html and a message in the cmd window, that reports that the file already exists.

My config file has had various combinations of folders defined for headerdirs and sourcedirs. At best I have generated .html files for all the QMLTypes (when i omit my .qdoc files from the location defined in the config file). When i include the folder of .qdoc files, I get only the number of html files that correspond with the number of qdoc files. Here is a sample of one of my config files.

outputdir = ./output/html
    headerdirs = ./sourcecodedir
    sourcedirs = ./qdocdir
    imagedirs = ./images
    sources.fileextensions = "*.cpp *.qdoc *.qml"

How do i ensure the information from the .qdoc files APPENDS the information from the .cpp files?

• I think there is a conceptual misunderstanding here. qdoc treats .cpp and .qdoc files pretty much as the same. If you get conflicts it is because you document a class/function/etc twice.

• so does that mean there is no way to have content for a single class / function come from two different files?

as well as attempting to merge content between .cpp files and .qdoc, we also have a case where we have c++ classes already documented in .h files, and we are now added qml wrappers to these c++ classes. instead of rewriting the help again for the newly exposed qml components, we would like to inherit as much of the c++ help content as possible. is there a precedent for this?

• Lifetime Qt Champion

Hi,

No, it means that you have duplicated documentation. You can have the documentation of a class spread across several files (e.g. the header and the implementation files) but you should not have this documentation copied multiple times (.i.e only document a function once).

• hmm... thank you both. im still struggling with the difference between spreading the documentation and duplicating it.

in my cpp file i have a class called MyTable, so i have a qdoc comment preceding it like this:

\qmltype MyTable

then in my qdoc file i also have qdoc comments that start with

\qmltype MyTable

to act as the link. is this correct?

• Lifetime Qt Champion

• ok so this is interesting. \ref appears to be a doxygen command but not a qdoc command. for others reviewing this thread the qdoc commands are here
    http://doc-snapshot.qt-project.org/qdoc/27-qdoc-commands-alphabetical.html

i looked for something similar - tried \page and it still didn't work. is the implication here that i should be about use different commands in different files but all refer to the same class?

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.