Mac OSX cannot find platform plugin cocoa

• Hello,

I also asked this question on StackOverflow "here":http://stackoverflow.com/questions/19988129/qt5-cannot-find-platform-plugins-mac-os-x , but I'm having a problem deploying on mac. Following "this link":http://qt-project.org/doc/qt-5.0/qtdoc/deployment-mac.html , I went through with otool -L and changed the linker to look for the Qt frameworks in the app bundle, which I'm fairly certain I did correctly, but I get this error:

This application failed to start because it could not find or load the Qt platform plugin "cocoa".

I copied libqcocoa.dylib from my Qt install directory into the app bundle in Contents/Platform/Plugins and changed qt.conf to:

[Paths]
    Plugins = Platform/Plugins

Is this the wrong place to put libqcocoa? Is that the correct library?

Thanks in advance! I'm really new to Mac and don't do much programming in general.

• Lifetime Qt Champion

Hi and welcome to devnet,

Did you run macdeployqt on your bundle ?

• I tried that initially, and it had the following errors:

ERROR: Could not find bundle binary for "MyProgram.app/Contents/MacOS/MyProgram" ERROR: "otool: can't open file: (No such file or directory)"

WARNING:
    WARNING: Could not find any external Qt frameworks to deploy in "MyProgram.app/Contents/MacOS/MyProgram"
    WARNING: Perhaps macdeployqt was already used on "MyProgram.app/Contents/MacOS/MyProgram" ?
    WARNING: If so, you will need to rebuild "MyProgram.app/Contents/MacOS/MyProgram" before trying again. ERROR: Could not find bundle binary for "MyProgram.app/Contents/MacOS/MyProgram"
    ERROR: file copy failed from "/Developer/Applications/Qt/plugins/platforms/libqcocoa.dylib"
    ERROR: to "MyProgram.app/Contents/MacOS/MyProgram/Contents/PlugIns/platforms/libqcocoa.dylib"
    ERROR: file copy failed from "/Developer/Applications/Qt/plugins/printsupport/libcocoaprintersupport.dylib"
    ERROR: to "MyProgram.app/Contents/MacOS/GraphiteMiniEditor/Contents/PlugIns/printsupport/libcocoaprintersupport.dylib"

And this was the first time I ran macdeployqt on my bundle.

• Lifetime Qt Champion

What version of Qt are you using ?
    How did you install it ?
    What version of OS X ?

• Qt version 5.1.1 compiled from source.
    Mac OS 10.7.4.

It ran with no problems in QtCreator when it was looking for the files in my Qt Directory, so I wouldn't think it's a problem with my Qt installation. It's only an issue when I link the application to Qt as frameworks in the app bundle.

• I ended up reverting to Qt4.8 and it runs now.

• Lifetime Qt Champion

The errors from macdeployqt look strange, are you sure you did you use the correct version ?

• Correct version of Qt? I only had 5.1.1 installed at the time if that's what you mean. For one thing, my Qt directory is not /Developer/Applications/ which is where it seemed to be looking. Maybe my path was messed up? Regardless, installing 4.8.5 is already done, and it is a workaround.

• Lifetime Qt Champion

That's why I asked, that path made me think of an older (as in several years) Qt install

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.