QtQuick 2 without OpenGL

• Hi,

I have a device with no OpenGL support. I have noticed that QtQuick 1 applications run a lot faster on this device since they probably use the Raster engine. Is it possible to improve the non OpenGL experience of QtQuick 2? I thought about DirectFB, could that work? Are there other ways to run QtQuick 2 application with software rendering at a usable speed (I don't need any mind-blowing animations and effects).

Regards
    Strahlex

• Moderators

QtQuick2 absolutely requires OpenGL, there is no going around that, AFAIK. Of course, you can run it on unaccelerated hardware through MESA, but the performance might be disappointing there.

• Is there a way to improve the MESA performance of QtQuick2? This is really annoying on embedded platforms where the OpenGL driver is not available yet. Yes I know I could also use Widgets instead but I want to use the whole awesomeness of QML especially because on the BeagleBone OpenGL will be available in the near future.

• Moderators

I've heard of some impressive improvements to MESA done using llvm and clang. Also, Qt 5.2 comes with huge performance improvements in QtQuick2.

I recommend contacting "Gunnar Sletta":http://blog.qt.digia.com/blog/author/gunnar/, who is the maintainer of Scenegraph in Qt. You can do it on IRC or development mailing list.

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.