How can I edit a .ui.h file?

• I'm a beginner in Qt and got a Qt project.
    There is a mainform.ui file with a mainform.ui.h
    In the top of mainform.ui.h is this text written:
    ... If you want to add, delete, or rename functions or slots, use Qt Designer to update this file...

I can open the mainform.ui.h file but I wana write my classes in it! How and where?

• Lifetime Qt Champion

Hi,

It's not working like this, like the text says you have to modify mainform.ui using Qt Designer. Have a look at designer's documentation and related examples to see what you can do

• .ui (XML) format are converted during build process into C++ header files by UIC (User Interface Compiler). As Qt documentation says in the UIC documentation: The UIC reads an XML format user interface definition (.ui) file as generated by Qt Designer and creates a corresponding C++ header file.

If your form filename is myform.ui, uic generates ui_myform.h. No matter what name of your class (objectName) is.

It's actually a C++ definition of your dialog. To modify this header file makes no sense because it is recreated during the build process and any changes are lost.

read this link
    http://sector.ynet.sk/qt4-tutorial/my-first-qt-gui-application.html

• I'm all mixed up!
    I went through the top sample , wrote the myqtapp.h file and after compiling I got many compiler errors and my myqtapp.h file is empty!!
    Why we write one time .h file and next time we shall not write in it!
    There is a zip file, it's the same compiler error with it. But my problem is, what is the logic here? Why is the .h after compiling empty and how can I modify this empty file???

• Lifetime Qt Champion

What error are you getting ? On what OS ? Which Qt version ?

I've tested the zip sample and it works.

• I found a sample in Qt documentation which works. I know the top sample is for windows . I have Ubuntu 10.04 and Qt Creator 1.3.1.
    The project is written in Qt3 and I have to update it in Qt4. I did this with qt3to4 but there are many compiler errors!
    I red in the forum here that is better to write it again in Qt4. But this is also not easy! I designed the Form, but that is all what now works!

These are the compiler errors in the project after using command make:
    g++ -c -pipe -g -Wall -W -O2 -D_REENTRANT -DQT_NO_DEBUG -DQT_THREAD_SUPPORT -DQT_SHARED -DQT_TABLET_SUPPORT -I/usr/share/qt3/mkspecs/default -I. -I. -I/usr/include/qt3 -o main.o main.cpp
    main.cpp: In function ‘int main(int, char**)’:
    main.cpp:26: error: ‘MainForm’ was not declared in this scope
    main.cpp:26: error: expected ‘;’ before ‘w’
    main.cpp:28: error: ‘w’ was not declared in this scope
    make: *** [main.o] error 1

this is the main.cpp:
    #include <iostream>
    using namespace std;
    #include <string.h> /* String function definitions /
    #include <unistd.h> /
    UNIX standard function definitions /
    #include <fcntl.h> /
    File control definitions /
    #include <errno.h> /
    Error number definitions /
    #include <termios.h> /
    POSIX terminal control definitions */
    #include <qnamespace.h>
    #include <qapplication.h>
    #include "mainform.h"

int main( int argc, char ** argv )
    {
    char filename[1000];
    strcpy(filename, argv[0]);
    QApplication a( argc, argv);
    MainForm w;
    sleep(5);
    w.showFullScreen();

a.connect( &a, SIGNAL( lastWindowClosed() ), &a, SLOT( quit() ) );
    w.FormStart(&filename[0]);
    return a.exec&#40;&#41;;

}

MainForm exists in mainform.ui.h. But the UIC cannot see it!

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.