[Solved] Compiling a simple Qt5 application

• Hello folks,

I am new to this site, and to Qt as a whole. I have about a year of experience with both (the Ubuntu/Mint/Debian side of) Linux and Java, but none with Qt or C++ (or any truly compiled language). Some Qt5 vids on YouTube and its superiority to GTK+ on other platforms made me try it.

I am failing to compile some very basic code. "I was trying out this tutorial by 'zetcode.com':":http://www.zetcode.com/gui/qt4/introduction/
    I downloaded and installed Qt5, added '/opt/Qt5.0.2/5.0.2/gcc_64/bin' to the PATH enviroment variable, and stuffed a file entitled 'test' with the example code:
    @
    #include <QApplication>
    #include <QWidget>

int main(int argc, char *argv[])
    {
    QApplication app(argc, argv);

QWidget window;

window.resize(250, 150);
    window.setWindowTitle("Simple example");
    window.show();

return app.exec&#40;&#41;;

}
    @

In its directory, I executed the following commands:
    @qmake -project (this generates a .pro file with the name of the directory)
    qmake (this generates a 'Makefile')
    make
    make: Nothing to be done for `first'.
    @

Well, that's basically it. According to the tutorial, 'make' supposed to do something different than saying 'nothing to be done for ` first''. It's probably a really simple switch or flag that needs to be switch, maybe even because this is not Qt4 but Qt5, but I'm out of luck. Could anyone give me a push into the right direction? I would be so happy if this worked :).

Flash Mustace

• I solved it. Apperantly, not giving a source file the ".cpp" extension causes either 'make' or 'qmake' to behave weird.
    Anyway, it's fixed now.

• Lifetime Qt Champion

Hi and welcome to devnet,

Could you post the pro file generated ?

• Lifetime Qt Champion

Indeed, file extensions are very important when programming.

.h for header and .cpp are the most common for c++ (you could use hpp also but it's not as widely used IFAIK)

qmake uses the file extension to setup the right compiler for your files.

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.