How to compile on Mac OS X

• Hi everyone!

I'm new in Qt, and I got a tutorial where it says that to compile, having a .cpp file, I just need to do this:

qmake -project
    qmake file.pro
    make

That works in Windows but in Mac OS X (10.7) it creates a xcode project file by default, and an info.plist file, so, "make" doesn't work.

I'm new and I don't wanna use QtCreator because it creates a lot of files that I don't need (yet...). So, my question is: Is there an easy way to compile my .cpp files from console on Mac OS X?

Thanks!

BTW. I read the qmake tutorial in the QtCreator help and tried with:

qmake -makefile -o Makefile file.pro

but still creates the xcode project... :/

• What do you mean with "It creates a xcode project file by default"?

Can you please post the output of this commands, you use:

qmake -project
    qmake file.pro
    make

Please also post the Makefile after doing qmake file.pro.

• Lifetime Qt Champion

Hi and welcome to DevNet,

Try again passing the macx-g++ mkspec, by default the mkspec is for xcode

• Hi again! and thank you for your help!

When I do "qmake -project" there is no output in the console, just it creates the "pro" file (file.pro). Then I do "qmake file.pro", and there is no output again, but two files are created: "info.plist" and "file.xcodeproj". If I try to run "make", the output is:

make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found. Stop.

The .xcodeproj file can't be opened with xcode, if I try that xcode says:

Project file.xcodeproj cannot be opened: didn't find classname for 'isa' key

So, I can't compile my program.

SGaist, I can't run macx-g++ (it says "command no found") :/ how can I excecute it?

Thank you again and sorry for my english, I speak spanish.

Regards!

Edit:

I found this page: https://bugreports.qt-project.org/browse/QTBUG-29371 and did the replacement, and then i got this message:

Project file.xcodeproj cannot be opened because the project file cannot be parsed.

:/ Thanks again!

• okay, maybe one more point for my list "Why I hate MacOS"...

I know, that you wrote it, but using QtCreator would be solve your problem.
    If you are new in Qt, I prefer to give it a try. You can easily take a look in the reference manual by pressing F1 in the code, so you can find fast your functions for your needs.

Take also a look to the Shortcuts: http://qt-project.org/wiki/Qt_Creator_Keyboard_Shortcuts
    I also used Eclipse a long time before and I also use it for non-Qt projects. Qt projects are easier to handle (exept for version control).

• Lifetime Qt Champion

IIRC you have to install the "command line tools" for XCode then you should be good

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.