[Qt Creator] Layouts inside a DockWidget

• Hi,

Using QT Creator, I'm trying to create a dock widget that has a series of other gadgets inside it (buttons, combo boxes and a tree widget), and have the gadgets auto-expand horizontally as the dock widget is resized.
    I know it can be done in pure C++ code, and I've done the same thing using layouts in other Apps that don't require docks, but I can't get it to work in the designer inside a dock.

To recreate my problem, just create a fresh App, add a Dock Widget, add some gadgets to the dock, select them and choose 'Layout in a group form'. After doing this I can't seem to find any combination of settings that automatically resize the widgets when the dock is resized.
    Am I just getting the settings wrong (what should they be??) or am I doing this completely wrong?
    It seems like something that should be very easy to do, but I'm having no luck at all.

Thanks for any help.

• Lifetime Qt Champion

IIRC, QDockWidget is just a container, so basically, you set a widget on it, and the other gadgets on that widget.

• Yes, I didn't mention it, but QT Creator automatically places a QWidget under the QDockWidget, and so everything is placed under that. But I still can't get it to work as I'd like it to.

I think that the QWidget under QDockWidget needs to BE the QFormLayout, but whenever I create the layout QT Creator automatically creates a new QFormLayout instead.

i.e. I think it should be this:
    @
    -QDockWidget
    -QFormLayout
    -QPushButton
    -etc
    @

but when I create the layout QT creator sets it up like this:

@
    -QDockWidget
    -QWidget
    -QFormLayout
    -QPushButton
    -etc
    @

I don't know how to persuade Creator to do the former (if the former is indeed correct)

• Lifetime Qt Champion

The later is the correct version. Programmatically, you would create the widget (and all what goes inside) then the QDockWidget, and assign the widget to the DockWidget.

• ok, well there must be something I'm doing wrong elsewhere, as although the form layout works, nothing resizes with the dock widget :(

• Figured it out.

In my first post I said
    "add some gadgets to the dock, select them and choose ‘Layout in a group form’. "

This is wrong, I needed to add the gadgets to the dock, then select the DOCK and choose 'Layout in a group form'.
    Seems obvious now, but was driving me mad earlier.

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.