How to run QT application on X-window of the embedded platform

• Hi, I have an urgent problem with QT run the embedded platform:
    I have an embedded EVM-Board, which runs Ubuntu with X-window desktop. The system runs like a PC linking monitor, keyboard and mouse.

Now I want to run a QT application on X-window of the embedded system. After I downloaded QT-lib and QT-application to the file-system and run the QT-application on the terminal, the application could run and the printf-info had no problem. However, there was no QT-window to display on the monitor.

I guess there is someting wrong with my compliled QT-lib or lack of some QT-tools。

Please tell me where is my problem, and whether X-window system needs QVFB to run QT application (no matter on X86 or embedded platform)?

My enviorment:
    hardware platform: TI DM8148(ARM+DSP)
    complile system: Ubuntu 11.04
    complie tool:linux-arm-gnueabi-g++
    embedded system : Ubuntu 11.04
    QT opensource:qt-everywhere-opensource-src-4.8.1.tar.gz

my install QT-lib configure:
    ./configure -prefix /usr/local/Trolltech/Qt-4.8.1 -arm -xplatform qws/linux-arm-gnueabi-g++ -embedded arm -little-endian -release -opensource -fast -no-accessibility -scripttools -svg -webkit -shared -javascript-jit -qt-sql-sqlite -no-qt3support -no-mmx -no-3dnow -no-sse -no-sse2 -silent -qt-libpng -qt-libjpeg -qt-libtiff -make libs -nomake examples -nomake docs -nomake demo -no-nis -no-cups -no-iconv -no-dbus -qt-freetype -armfpa -qt-gfx-linuxfb -qt-gfx-transformed -qt-gfx-multiscreen -no-gfx-vnc -no-gfx-qvfb -qt-kbd-linuxinput -qt-mouse-linuxinput -no-glib

board export:
    export QTDIR=/home/qt
    export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/lib/qt-lib
    export QT_QWS_FONTDIR=/lib/qt-lib/fonts
    export QWS_DISPLAY=“LinuxFb:/dev/fb0”

• Hello.
    Your Qt-lib is compiled for embedded Linux (it writes directly to Linux framebuffer, eliminating the need for the X Window System). Don't use "-embedded" option. You should build Qt for X11 to run Qt GUI applications over X-window system. Check installation guide: http://qt-project.org/doc/qt-4.8/install-x11.html . In this sense your system is not embedded.
    QVFB can be used for development and debugging purposes when you writing applications that works without X11: http://doc.qt.nokia.com/4.7-snapshot/qvfb.html .

• Thank for you help very much.

From what you said, is my Ubuntu system not embedded, even if the system is based on ARM-platform? If it is true, how to configure these parameters : -arm -xplatform qws/linux-arm-gnueabi-g++ -qt-gfx-linuxfb -qt-gfx-transformed -qt-gfx-multiscreen -no-gfx-vnc -no-gfx-qvfb -qt-kbd-linuxinput -qt-mouse-linuxinput ? Because my QT-application will run the ARM-platform, I think these parameters are needed, at least,QT-lib will be compiled using qws/linux-arm-gnueabi-g++.

By the way, I have a little confuse with the question: in this sense, whether I need compile QVFB to run QT application on my system(ARM+Ubuntu+X-window)?

Sorry for my bad English. If you understand what I said, please give me some help again.

• bq. By the way, I have a little confuse with the question: in this sense, whether I need compile QVFB to run QT application on my system(ARM+Ubuntu+X-window)?

No, you don't need it.

bq. From what you said, is my Ubuntu system not embedded, even if the system is based on ARM-platform? If it is true, how to configure these parameters : -arm -xplatform qws/linux-arm-gnueabi-g++ -qt-gfx-linuxfb -qt-gfx-transformed -qt-gfx-multiscreen -no-gfx-vnc -no-gfx-qvfb -qt-kbd-linuxinput -qt-mouse-linuxinput ?

"-no-gfx-vnc", "-no-gfx-qvfb" - it's default options, just miss it.

"-qt-gfx-linuxfb", "-qt-gfx-transformed", "-qt-gfx-multiscreen", "-qt-kbd-linuxinput", "-qt-mouse-linuxinput" - it's screen, keyboard and mouse handling options. Miss it and use default values because X11 system manages this things.

If you compiling Qt on you Ubuntu(arm), try to use default "./configure" options. It will automatically detect your processor type. If you use cross-compilation then you should specify target platform as "linux-arm-gnueabi-g++" (not qws), check "./configure --help".

• Thanks for you help me again.

Now I am more clearer to my question. I will cross-compile QT-lib and QT-application on my X86-computer, and I will download the compiled QT-lib and QT-application on my EVM-board((ARM+Ubuntu+X-window)) to run. So I need using my cross-compilation(linux-arm-gnueabi-g++) to cross-compile.

one question i want to make sure:
    [quote author="Serg" date="1337013285"]bq. you should specify target platform as “linux-arm-gnueabi-g++” (not qws),[/quote]
    what does this sentence mean? do you mean configure like this:"./configure -xplatform qws/linux-arm-gnueabi-g++". Especially, what does *''(not qws)" *mean?

Or you can tell me more details to "./configure", yeah i have check “./configure —help”.
    Thank you so much for your warm-heart!!!

• -xplatform used with -embedded only, you should use -platform.

I'm not sure, but I think it will be correct: "./confugure -platform arm-none-linux-gnueabi-g++". Also you should correctly configure environment variables (e.g. CC, LD, etc.) on your host system for cross-compilation (check cross-compiler documentation).

• Yesterday I tried to compile QT-LIB following what you said. However, when I compiling the qt-everywhere-opensource-src-4.8.1, there is a error :

/home/xushaofan/qt_4.8.1_pkg/qt-x11-opensource-src-4.8.1/bin/qmake: 1: Syntax error: word unexpected (expecting ")")
    /home/xushaofan/qt_4.8.1_pkg/qt-x11-opensource-src-4.8.1/bin/qmake: 1: Syntax error: word unexpected (expecting ")")

My configure is "./confugure -platform arm-none-linux-gnueabi-g++" as you told me , and I think I configure environment variables correctly.
    Can you tell me where someting wrong is? Thank you very much.

• You should use qmake for target platform (that runs on x86, but produces output for arm), not native qmake.

• Sorry to reply later beacause I was busy for other things these days.

[quote author="Serg" date="1337231425"]You should use qmake for target platform (that runs on x86, but produces output for arm), not native qmake.[/quote]

I think "qmake" is a tool used for generating Makefile, so it runs on x86, and produces output(Makefile) for X86 not for arm. Is that true?

By the way, I find an other way to get qt-lib for X11 based arm. I link the system with internet, and use “apt-get instal libqt4-dev”, then the ubuntu can download qt-lib for arm. However, when I run a QT test-program(compiled linking downloaded QT-lib) on my system, the program can output a window, but have an error:"undefined symbol: _ZN7QWidget8qwsEventEP8QWSEvent". Can you tell me what wrong about this way to get QT-lib and run QT-program.

Thanks for your warm-heart again!!!

• bq. I think “qmake” is a tool used for generating Makefile, so it runs on x86, and produces output(Makefile) for X86 not for arm. Is that true?

The qmake tool requires a platform and compiler specific qmake.conf file describing the various default values, to generate the appropriate Makefiles. You should use correct qmake.conf file.

bq. However, when I run a QT test-program(compiled linking downloaded QT-lib) on my system, the program can output a window, but have an error:“undefined symbol: _ZN7QWidget8qwsEventEP8QWSEvent”. Can you tell me what wrong about this way to get QT-lib and run QT-program.

Looks like your program uses QWidget::qwsEvent(), that is not available in non-embedded linux environments. "Check this thread":http://qt-project.org/forums/viewthread/3043 .

• The second question.
    My test program can run on Ubuntu on my PC, which is non-embendded linux environment too. And I am sure my test program (just a MainWindow) not using QWidget::qwsEvent()。

• The first question.
    When I use "./configure -xplatform linux-arm-gnueabi-g++ "to configure, there is no error about "/home/xushaofan/qt_4.8.1_pkg/qt-x11-opensource-src-4.8.1/bin/qmake: 1: Syntax error: word unexpected (expecting “)”)", but it generate an error:

"Basic XLib functionality test failed!
    You might need to modify the include and library search paths by editing
    QMAKE_INCDIR_X11 and QMAKE_LIBDIR_X11 in /home/xushaofan/qt_4.8.1_pkg/qt-everywhere-opensource-src-4.8.1/mkspecs/linux-arm-gnueabi-g++."

I find the variables of QMAKE_INCDIR_X11 and QMAKE_LIBDIR_X11 is in the /mkspecs/common/linux.conf, and I change the variables to XLib's path, but this error remain.

How to solve this problem?

• qt-everywhere-opensource-src-x.y.z/mkspecs directory used for (cross) compiling Qt for various targets.
    qt-everywhere-opensource-src-x.y.z/mkspecs/qws directory used for (cross) compiling Qt embedded for various targets.

So, I checked "mkspecs directory":http://qt.gitorious.org/qt/qt/trees/4.8/mkspecs and found a mistake.

bq. I’m not sure, but I think it will be correct: “./configure -platform arm-none-linux-gnueabi-g++”.

Correct is: "./configure -platform linux-arm-gnueabi-g++".

• Correct is: “./configure -platform linux-arm-gnueabi-g++”.

But in /mkspecs directory, there is no folder of "linux-arm-gnueabi-g++",and my qt opensource's version is 4.8.1. So I just copied /mkspecs/qws/linux-arm-gnueabi-g++ to /mkspecs. I think what I did is not true, but I dont know how to get linux-arm-gnueabi-g++ in /mkspecs.

• About second question.
    Your qt test program was built on arm system as a native program? Can you show ldd output?

bq. But in /mkspecs directory, there is no folder of “linux-arm-gnueabi-g++”,and my qt opensource’s version is 4.8.1. So I just copied /mkspecs/qws/linux-arm-gnueabi-g++ to /mkspecs. I think what I did is not true, but I dont know how to get linux-arm-gnueabi-g++ in /mkspecs.

Copy it from qt.gitorious, Are you checked the link "mkspecs directory":http://qt.gitorious.org/qt/qt/trees/4.8/mkspecs ?

• My cross compiler is arm-none-linux-gnueabi-g++ not linux-arm-gnueabi-g++.

I copy the folder of linux-arm-gnueabi-g++ from qt.gitorious to /mkspecs, and I replace "linux-arm-gnueabi-g++" for "arm-none-linux-gnueabi-g++ ". Then I configure "./configure -platform linux-arm-gnueabi-g++",there is two errors:

/home/xushaofan/qt_4.8.1_pkg/qt-everywhere-opensource-src-4.8.1/bin/qmake: 1: Syntax error: word unexpected (expecting ")")
    /home/xushaofan/qt_4.8.1_pkg/qt-everywhere-opensource-src-4.8.1/bin/qmake: 1: Syntax error: word unexpected (expecting ")")
    Basic XLib functionality test failed!
    QMAKE_INCDIR_X11 and QMAKE_LIBDIR_X11 in /home/xushaofan/qt_4.8.1_pkg/qt-everywhere-opensource-src-4.8.1/mkspecs/linux-arm-gnueabi-g++.

But if I configure "./configure -xplatform linux-arm-gnueabi-g++" after clean configure, there just an error:

QMAKE_INCDIR_X11 and QMAKE_LIBDIR_X11 in /home/xushaofan/qt_4.8.1_pkg/qt-everywhere-opensource-src-4.8.1/mkspecs/linux-arm-gnueabi-g++.

• So, there are two ways:

1. Write your own mkspec for arm-none-linux-gnueabi-g++ compiler (or find in google). Then ./configure -arch arm -xplatform arm-none-linux-gnueabi-g++;
    2. "sudo apt-get install g++-arm-linux-gnueabi" and try to use mkspec from qt.gitorius. Then ./configure -arch arm -xplatform linux-arm-gnueabi-g++.

bq. Basic XLib functionality test failed! You might need to modify the include and library search paths by editing QMAKE_INCDIR_X11 and QMAKE_LIBDIR_X11

You need to specify X11 include files and libraries, arm libs!

• You need to specify X11 include files and libraries, arm libs!

================================

I have specified X11 include files and libraries(for arm)' path by modifing linux.conf in /mkspecs/common, but the error remain. Is it right?

It is too later tonight, I will compile QT-lib following what you said tomorrow.
    Anyway, thank you help me again and again.

• By the way, the X11 include files and libraries are provided in filesytems by TI ezsdk.

• bq. I have specified X11 include files and libraries(for arm)’ path by modifing linux.conf in /mkspecs/common, but the error remain. Is it right?

I'm think it's right.

This error can be when libXext is missed.
    Here is "Qt for X11 requirements":http://qt-project.org/doc/qt-4.8/requirements-x11.html. Ensure that you have all required libs.

• One more question, when I configure my QT-lib compiling using "./configure -xplatform linux-arm-gnueabi-g++",
    it outputs "You have not explicitly asked to use pkg-config and are cross-compiling.
    pkg-config will not be used to automatically query cflag/lib parameters for
    dependencies"
    But when I use "./configure", there is no that message.

Although it is not en error, I think something is not configured right.

• Try it: ./configure -arch arm -xplatform linux-arm-gnueabi-g++ -force-pkg-config

• After I modified "QMAKE_LIBS_X11 = -lXext -lX11 -lm -lxcb -lpthread-stubs -lXau -lXdmcp " in /mkspecs/common/linux.conf,
    now I can configure successfully by using "./configure -arch arm -xplatform linux-arm-gnueabi-g++ -force-pkg-config".

However, after I "make", there are some errors:

arm-none-linux-gnueabi-g++ -Wl,-rpath-link,/home/xushaofan/qt_4.8.1_pkg/qt-everywhere-opensource-src-4.8.1/lib -Wl,-O1 -Wl,-rpath,/usr/local/Trolltech/Qt-4.8.1/lib -Wl,-rpath,/usr/local/Trolltech/Qt-4.8.1/lib -o rsslisting .obj/release-shared/main.o .obj/release-shared/rsslisting.o .obj/release-shared/moc_rsslisting.o -L/home/xushaofan/qt_4.8.1_pkg/qt-everywhere-opensource-src-4.8.1/lib -lQtXml -L/home/xushaofan/qt_4.8.1_pkg/qt-everywhere-opensource-src-4.8.1/lib -lQtGui -L/opt/ezsdk_5_03_01_15/linux-devkit/arm-none-linux-gnueabi/usr/lib -lQtNetwork -lQtCore -lpthread
    /opt/CodeSourcery/Sourcery_G++_Lite/bin/../lib/gcc/arm-none-linux-gnueabi/4.3.3/../../../../arm-none-linux-gnueabi/bin/ld: warning: libXrender.so.1, needed by /home/xushaofan/qt_4.8.1_pkg/qt-everywhere-opensource-src-4.8.1/lib/libQtGui.so, not found (try using -rpath or -rpath-link)
    /opt/CodeSourcery/Sourcery_G++_Lite/bin/../lib/gcc/arm-none-linux-gnueabi/4.3.3/../../../../arm-none-linux-gnueabi/bin/ld: warning: libXext.so.6, needed by /home/xushaofan/qt_4.8.1_pkg/qt-everywhere-opensource-src-4.8.1/lib/libQtGui.so, not found (try using -rpath or -rpath-link)
    /opt/CodeSourcery/Sourcery_G++_Lite/bin/../lib/gcc/arm-none-linux-gnueabi/4.3.3/../../../../arm-none-linux-gnueabi/bin/ld: warning: libX11.so.6, needed by /home/xushaofan/qt_4.8.1_pkg/qt-everywhere-opensource-src-4.8.1/lib/libQtGui.so, not found (try using -rpath or -rpath-link)
    /opt/CodeSourcery/Sourcery_G++_Lite/bin/../lib/gcc/arm-none-linux-gnueabi/4.3.3/../../../../arm-none-linux-gnueabi/bin/ld: warning: libxcb.so.1, needed by /home/xushaofan/qt_4.8.1_pkg/qt-everywhere-opensource-src-4.8.1/lib/libQtGui.so, not found (try using -rpath or -rpath-link)
    /opt/CodeSourcery/Sourcery_G++_Lite/bin/../lib/gcc/arm-none-linux-gnueabi/4.3.3/../../../../arm-none-linux-gnueabi/bin/ld: warning: libpthread-stubs.so.0, needed by /home/xushaofan/qt_4.8.1_pkg/qt-everywhere-opensource-src-4.8.1/lib/libQtGui.so, not found (try using -rpath or -rpath-link)
    /opt/CodeSourcery/Sourcery_G++_Lite/bin/../lib/gcc/arm-none-linux-gnueabi/4.3.3/../../../../arm-none-linux-gnueabi/bin/ld: warning: libXau.so.6, needed by /home/xushaofan/qt_4.8.1_pkg/qt-everywhere-opensource-src-4.8.1/lib/libQtGui.so, not found (try using -rpath or -rpath-link)
    /opt/CodeSourcery/Sourcery_G++_Lite/bin/../lib/gcc/arm-none-linux-gnueabi/4.3.3/../../../../arm-none-linux-gnueabi/bin/ld: warning: libXdmcp.so.6, needed by /home/xushaofan/qt_4.8.1_pkg/qt-everywhere-opensource-src-4.8.1/lib/libQtGui.so, not found (try using -rpath or -rpath-link)
    /home/xushaofan/qt_4.8.1_pkg/qt-everywhere-opensource-src-4.8.1/lib/libQtGui.so: undefined reference to XSetTile' /home/xushaofan/qt_4.8.1_pkg/qt-everywhere-opensource-src-4.8.1/lib/libQtGui.so: undefined reference toXReparentWindow'
    /home/xushaofan/qt_4.8.1_pkg/qt-everywhere-opensource-src-4.8.1/lib/libQtGui.so: undefined reference to XSetIMValues' /home/xushaofan/qt_4.8.1_pkg/qt-everywhere-opensource-src-4.8.1/lib/libQtGui.so: undefined reference toXConvertSelection'
    /home/xushaofan/qt_4.8.1_pkg/qt-everywhere-opensource-src-4.8.1/lib/libQtGui.so: undefined reference to XSetFillStyle' /home/xushaofan/qt_4.8.1_pkg/qt-everywhere-opensource-src-4.8.1/lib/libQtGui.so: undefined reference toXUnsetICFocus'
    /home/xushaofan/qt_4.8.1_pkg/qt-everywhere-opensource-src-4.8.1/lib/libQtGui.so: undefined reference to `XQueryColors'

• /home/xushaofan/qt_4.8.1_pkg/qt-everywhere-opensource-src-4.8.1/lib/libQtGui.so: undefined reference to XTranslateCoordinates' /home/xushaofan/qt_4.8.1_pkg/qt-everywhere-opensource-src-4.8.1/lib/libQtGui.so: undefined reference toXDeleteProperty'
    /home/xushaofan/qt_4.8.1_pkg/qt-everywhere-opensource-src-4.8.1/lib/libQtGui.so: undefined reference to XSetWMColormapWindows' /home/xushaofan/qt_4.8.1_pkg/qt-everywhere-opensource-src-4.8.1/lib/libQtGui.so: undefined reference toXVisualIDFromVisual'
    /home/xushaofan/qt_4.8.1_pkg/qt-everywhere-opensource-src-4.8.1/lib/libQtGui.so: undefined reference to XSetICFocus' /home/xushaofan/qt_4.8.1_pkg/qt-everywhere-opensource-src-4.8.1/lib/libQtGui.so: undefined reference toXMaxRequestSize'
    /home/xushaofan/qt_4.8.1_pkg/qt-everywhere-opensource-src-4.8.1/lib/libQtGui.so: undefined reference to XGetErrorDatabaseText' /home/xushaofan/qt_4.8.1_pkg/qt-everywhere-opensource-src-4.8.1/lib/libQtGui.so: undefined reference toXUngrabButton'
    /home/xushaofan/qt_4.8.1_pkg/qt-everywhere-opensource-src-4.8.1/lib/libQtGui.so: undefined reference to XOpenIM' /home/xushaofan/qt_4.8.1_pkg/qt-everywhere-opensource-src-4.8.1/lib/libQtGui.so: undefined reference toXGetInputFocus'
    /home/xushaofan/qt_4.8.1_pkg/qt-everywhere-opensource-src-4.8.1/lib/libQtGui.so: undefined reference to XCheckTypedEvent' /home/xushaofan/qt_4.8.1_pkg/qt-everywhere-opensource-src-4.8.1/lib/libQtGui.so: undefined reference toXDefineCursor'
    /home/xushaofan/qt_4.8.1_pkg/qt-everywhere-opensource-src-4.8.1/lib/libQtGui.so: undefined reference to XSetFunction' /home/xushaofan/qt_4.8.1_pkg/qt-everywhere-opensource-src-4.8.1/lib/libQtGui.so: undefined reference toXKillClient'
    /home/xushaofan/qt_4.8.1_pkg/qt-everywhere-opensource-src-4.8.1/lib/libQtGui.so: undefined reference to XRenderCreatePicture' /home/xushaofan/qt_4.8.1_pkg/qt-everywhere-opensource-src-4.8.1/lib/libQtGui.so: undefined reference toXVaCreateNestedList'
    /home/xushaofan/qt_4.8.1_pkg/qt-everywhere-opensource-src-4.8.1/lib/libQtGui.so: undefined reference to XGetFontPath' /home/xushaofan/qt_4.8.1_pkg/qt-everywhere-opensource-src-4.8.1/lib/libQtGui.so: undefined reference toXShapeCombineRegion'
    /home/xushaofan/qt_4.8.1_pkg/qt-everywhere-opensource-src-4.8.1/lib/libQtGui.so: undefined reference to XSetClipRectangles' /home/xushaofan/qt_4.8.1_pkg/qt-everywhere-opensource-src-4.8.1/lib/libQtGui.so: undefined reference toXGetWindowAttributes'
    /home/xushaofan/qt_4.8.1_pkg/qt-everywhere-opensource-src-4.8.1/lib/libQtGui.so: undefined reference to XRemoveFromSaveSet' /home/xushaofan/qt_4.8.1_pkg/qt-everywhere-opensource-src-4.8.1/lib/libQtGui.so: undefined reference toXGrabButton'
    /home/xushaofan/qt_4.8.1_pkg/qt-everywhere-opensource-src-4.8.1/lib/libQtGui.so: undefined reference to XGetKeyboardMapping' /home/xushaofan/qt_4.8.1_pkg/qt-everywhere-opensource-src-4.8.1/lib/libQtGui.so: undefined reference toXFreePixmap'
    /home/xushaofan/qt_4.8.1_pkg/qt-everywhere-opensource-src-4.8.1/lib/libQtGui.so: undefined reference to XLoadQueryFont' /home/xushaofan/qt_4.8.1_pkg/qt-everywhere-opensource-src-4.8.1/lib/libQtGui.so: undefined reference toXFillPolygon'
    /home/xushaofan/qt_4.8.1_pkg/qt-everywhere-opensource-src-4.8.1/lib/libQtGui.so: undefined reference to XUnionRectWithRegion' /home/xushaofan/qt_4.8.1_pkg/qt-everywhere-opensource-src-4.8.1/lib/libQtGui.so: undefined reference toXSyncDestroyCounter'
    /home/xushaofan/qt_4.8.1_pkg/qt-everywhere-opensource-src-4.8.1/lib/libQtGui.so: undefined reference to XmbTextPropertyToTextList' /home/xushaofan/qt_4.8.1_pkg/qt-everywhere-opensource-src-4.8.1/lib/libQtGui.so: undefined reference toXRenderCreateCursor'
    /home/xushaofan/qt_4.8.1_pkg/qt-everywhere-opensource-src-4.8.1/lib/libQtGui.so: undefined reference to XGetSelectionOwner' /home/xushaofan/qt_4.8.1_pkg/qt-everywhere-opensource-src-4.8.1/lib/libQtGui.so: undefined reference toXCloseDisplay'
    /home/xushaofan/qt_4.8.1_pkg/qt-everywhere-opensource-src-4.8.1/lib/libQtGui.so: undefined reference to XSync' /home/xushaofan/qt_4.8.1_pkg/qt-everywhere-opensource-src-4.8.1/lib/libQtGui.so: undefined reference toXGetAtomName'
    /home/xushaofan/qt_4.8.1_pkg/qt-everywhere-opensource-src-4.8.1/lib/libQtGui.so: undefined reference to XCheckIfEvent' /home/xushaofan/qt_4.8.1_pkg/qt-everywhere-opensource-src-4.8.1/lib/libQtGui.so: undefined reference toXPutImage'
    /home/xushaofan/qt_4.8.1_pkg/qt-everywhere-opensource-src-4.8.1/lib/libQtGui.so: undefined reference to XDrawString16' /home/xushaofan/qt_4.8.1_pkg/qt-everywhere-opensource-src-4.8.1/lib/libQtGui.so: undefined reference toXListPixmapFormats'
    collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
    make[3]: *** [rsslisting] Error 1
    make[3]: Leaving directory /home/xushaofan/qt_4.8.1_pkg/qt-everywhere-opensource-src-4.8.1/examples/xml/rsslisting' make[2]: *** [sub-rsslisting-make_default] Error 2 make[2]: Leaving directory/home/xushaofan/qt_4.8.1_pkg/qt-everywhere-opensource-src-4.8.1/examples/xml'
    make[1]: *** [sub-xml-make_default] Error 2
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/xushaofan/qt_4.8.1_pkg/qt-everywhere-opensource-src-4.8.1/examples'
    make: *** [sub-examples-make_default-ordered] Error 2

Can you tell me how to eliminate these error?

• When I make again by configuring " ./configure -arch arm -xplatform arm-none-linux-gnueabi-g++ -release -force-pkg-config"
    There is an other error:

arm-none-linux-gnueabi-g++ -Wl,-rpath-link,/home/xushaofan/qt_4.8.1_pkg/qt-everywhere-opensource-src-4.8.1/lib -Wl,-O1 -Wl,-rpath,/home/xushaofan/qt_4.8.1_pkg/qt-everywhere-opensource-src-4.8.1/src/3rdparty/webkit/Source/lib -Wl,-rpath,/usr/local/Trolltech/Qt-4.8.1/lib -Wl,-rpath,/usr/local/Trolltech/Qt-4.8.1/lib -o tst_qdeclarativewebview .obj/release-shared/tst_qdeclarativewebview.o .obj/release-shared/qrc_tst_qdeclarativewebview.o -L/home/xushaofan/qt_4.8.1_pkg/qt-everywhere-opensource-src-4.8.1/lib -L/opt/ezsdk_5_03_01_15/linux-devkit/arm-none-linux-gnueabi/usr/lib -L/home/xushaofan/qt_4.8.1_pkg/qt-everywhere-opensource-src-4.8.1/lib -lQtDeclarative -lQtScript -lQtSvg -L/opt/ezsdk_5_03_01_15/linux-devkit/arm-none-linux-gnueabi/usr/lib -lQtSql -lQtXmlPatterns -lQtWebKit -lQtTest -lQtGui -lQtNetwork -lQtCore -lpthread -lXrender -lXext -lX11 -lm -lxcb -lpthread-stubs -lXau -lXdmcp
    /home/xushaofan/qt_4.8.1_pkg/qt-everywhere-opensource-src-4.8.1/lib/libQtCore.so: undefined reference to QInotifyFileSystemWatcherEngine::create()' /home/xushaofan/qt_4.8.1_pkg/qt-everywhere-opensource-src-4.8.1/lib/libQtCore.so: undefined reference toclock_gettime'
    /home/xushaofan/qt_4.8.1_pkg/qt-everywhere-opensource-src-4.8.1/lib/libQtCore.so: undefined reference to QDnotifyFileSystemWatcherEngine::create()' collect2: ld returned 1 exit status make[3]: *** [tst_qdeclarativewebview] Error 1 make[3]: Leaving directory/home/xushaofan/qt_4.8.1_pkg/qt-everywhere-opensource-src-4.8.1/src/3rdparty/webkit/Source/WebKit/qt/tests/qdeclarativewebview'
    make[2]: *** [sub-qdeclarativewebview-make_default] Error 2

there are many more "undefined reference to" variables, why?

• Are you sure that path to arm X11 libraries is correct (in linux.conf QMAKE_LIBDIR_X11 and QMAKE_INCDIR_X11) and X11 version is X11R6? If it's true, then i can suppose that arm-none-linux-gnueabi-g++ and linux-arm-gnueabi-g++ have a different binary format and ld can't link it. If i'm right, you should use one compiler for X11 libs and Qt. It means that you should use linux-arm-gnueabi-g++ rather than arm-none-linux-gnueabi-g++, because it's compiler from Ubuntu repository and you are compiling for Ubuntu.

But I didn't have any problems like this. So, I don't know what exactly you should do in this case :(

1. “sudo apt-get install g++-arm-linux-gnueabi” and try to use mkspec from qt.gitorius. Then ./configure -arch arm -xplatform linux-arm-gnueabi-g++.

===============================================
    Today I followed the second method to apt-get install g++-arm-linux-gnueabi and make my QT-lib,and those errors still exist.

/home/xushaofan/qt_4.8.1_pkg/qt-everywhere-opensource-src-4.8.1/lib/libQtGui.so: undefined reference to XDefineCursor' /home/xushaofan/qt_4.8.1_pkg/qt-everywhere-opensource-src-4.8.1/lib/libQtGui.so: undefined reference toXSetFunction'
    /home/xushaofan/qt_4.8.1_pkg/qt-everywhere-opensource-src-4.8.1/lib/libQtGui.so: undefined reference to XKillClient' /home/xushaofan/qt_4.8.1_pkg/qt-everywhere-opensource-src-4.8.1/lib/libQtGui.so: undefined reference toXRenderCreatePicture'
    /home/xushaofan/qt_4.8.1_pkg/qt-everywhere-opensource-src-4.8.1/lib/libQtGui.so: undefined reference to XVaCreateNestedList' /home/xushaofan/qt_4.8.1_pkg/qt-everywhere-opensource-src-4.8.1/lib/libQtGui.so: undefined reference toXGetFontPath'
    /home/xushaofan/qt_4.8.1_pkg/qt-everywhere-opensource-src-4.8.1/lib/libQtGui.so: undefined reference to XShapeCombineRegion' /home/xushaofan/qt_4.8.1_pkg/qt-everywhere-opensource-src-4.8.1/lib/libQtGui.so: undefined reference toXSetClipRectangles'
    /home/xushaofan/qt_4.8.1_pkg/qt-everywhere-opensource-src-4.8.1/lib/libQtGui.so: undefined reference to SmcOpenConnection' /home/xushaofan/qt_4.8.1_pkg/qt-everywhere-opensource-src-4.8.1/lib/libQtGui.so: undefined reference toXGetWindowAttributes'
    /home/xushaofan/qt_4.8.1_pkg/qt-everywhere-opensource-src-4.8.1/lib/libQtGui.so: undefined reference to XRemoveFromSaveSet' /home/xushaofan/qt_4.8.1_pkg/qt-everywhere-opensource-src-4.8.1/lib/libQtGui.so: undefined reference toXGrabButton'
    /home/xushaofan/qt_4.8.1_pkg/qt-everywhere-opensource-src-4.8.1/lib/libQtGui.so: undefined reference to XGetKeyboardMapping' /home/xushaofan/qt_4.8.1_pkg/qt-everywhere-opensource-src-4.8.1/lib/libQtGui.so: undefined reference toXFreePixmap'
    /home/xushaofan/qt_4.8.1_pkg/qt-everywhere-opensource-src-4.8.1/lib/libQtGui.so: undefined reference to XLoadQueryFont' /home/xushaofan/qt_4.8.1_pkg/qt-everywhere-opensource-src-4.8.1/lib/libQtGui.so: undefined reference toXFillPolygon'
    /home/xushaofan/qt_4.8.1_pkg/qt-everywhere-opensource-src-4.8.1/lib/libQtGui.so: undefined reference to SmcSaveYourselfDone' /home/xushaofan/qt_4.8.1_pkg/qt-everywhere-opensource-src-4.8.1/lib/libQtGui.so: undefined reference toXUnionRectWithRegion'
    /home/xushaofan/qt_4.8.1_pkg/qt-everywhere-opensource-src-4.8.1/lib/libQtGui.so: undefined reference to XSyncDestroyCounter' /home/xushaofan/qt_4.8.1_pkg/qt-everywhere-opensource-src-4.8.1/lib/libQtGui.so: undefined reference toXmbTextPropertyToTextList'
    /home/xushaofan/qt_4.8.1_pkg/qt-everywhere-opensource-src-4.8.1/lib/libQtGui.so: undefined reference to XRenderCreateCursor' /home/xushaofan/qt_4.8.1_pkg/qt-everywhere-opensource-src-4.8.1/lib/libQtGui.so: undefined reference toXGetSelectionOwner'
    /home/xushaofan/qt_4.8.1_pkg/qt-everywhere-opensource-src-4.8.1/lib/libQtGui.so: undefined reference to XCloseDisplay' /home/xushaofan/qt_4.8.1_pkg/qt-everywhere-opensource-src-4.8.1/lib/libQtGui.so: undefined reference toXSync'
    /home/xushaofan/qt_4.8.1_pkg/qt-everywhere-opensource-src-4.8.1/lib/libQtGui.so: undefined reference to XGetAtomName' /home/xushaofan/qt_4.8.1_pkg/qt-everywhere-opensource-src-4.8.1/lib/libQtGui.so: undefined reference toXCheckIfEvent'
    /home/xushaofan/qt_4.8.1_pkg/qt-everywhere-opensource-src-4.8.1/lib/libQtGui.so: undefined reference to XPutImage' /home/xushaofan/qt_4.8.1_pkg/qt-everywhere-opensource-src-4.8.1/lib/libQtGui.so: undefined reference toXDrawString16'
    /home/xushaofan/qt_4.8.1_pkg/qt-everywhere-opensource-src-4.8.1/lib/libQtGui.so: undefined reference to XListPixmapFormats' collect2: ld returned 1 exit status make[3]: *** [saxbookmarks] Error 1 make[3]: Leaving directory/home/xushaofan/qt_4.8.1_pkg/qt-everywhere-opensource-src-4.8.1/examples/xml/saxbookmarks'
    make[2]: *** [sub-saxbookmarks-make_default] Error 2
    make[2]: Leaving directory /home/xushaofan/qt_4.8.1_pkg/qt-everywhere-opensource-src-4.8.1/examples/xml' make[1]: *** [sub-xml-make_default] Error 2 make[1]: Leaving directory/home/xushaofan/qt_4.8.1_pkg/qt-everywhere-opensource-src-4.8.1/examples'
    make: *** [sub-examples-make_default-ordered] Error 2

==============================
    And I am sure my arm X11 libraries is correct. Because in /qt-everywhere-opensource-src-4.8.1/config.tests/x11/xlib, I use "arm-linux-gnueabi-g++ -o xlib xlib.cpp -I/opt/ezsdk/linux-devkit/arm-none-linux-gnueabi/usr/include -L/opt/ezsdk/linux-devkit/arm-none-linux-gnueabi/usr/lib -lXext -lX11 -lm -lxcb -lpthread-stubs -lXau -lXdmcp"
    and "arm-none-linux-gnueabi-g++ -o xlib xlib.cpp -I/opt/ezsdk/linux-devkit/arm-none-linux-gnueabi/usr/include -L/opt/ezsdk/linux-devkit/arm-none-linux-gnueabi/usr/lib -lXext -lX11 -lm -lxcb -lpthread-stubs -lXau -lXdmcp"
    to compile xlib. Both successfully.

Bye the way, the X11 libraries' directory is under the /arm-none-linux-gnueabi/usr/lib in filesystem, so I think the X11 libraries is compiled by arm-none-linux-gnueabi. However, Whether I use "arm-none-linux-gnueabi-g++" or "linux-arm-gnueabi-g++" to make my QT-lib, those “ undefined reference to” error still exist.

• [quote author="Serg" date="1337702523"]Are you sure that path to arm X11 libraries is correct (in linux.conf QMAKE_LIBDIR_X11 and QMAKE_INCDIR_X11) and X11 version is X11R6? If it's true, then i can suppose that arm-none-linux-gnueabi-g++ and linux-arm-gnueabi-g++ have a different binary format and ld can't link it. If i'm right, you should use one compiler for X11 libs and Qt. It means that you should use linux-arm-gnueabi-g++ rather than arm-none-linux-gnueabi-g++, because it's compiler from Ubuntu repository and you are compiling for Ubuntu.

But I didn't have any problems like this. So, I don't know what exactly you should do in this case :([/quote]

Sorry for reply later. Last Thursday, I had copiled QT-LIB for Ubuntu based DM8148 successfully.

Above these errors, I made two mistakes about X11-LIB.

1. I wrote my own mkspec for arm-none-linux-gnueabi-g++ compiler, and I named it "arm-none-linux-gnueabi-g++" not "linux-", so when I make, there is an error: /lib/libQtCore.so: undefined reference to `QDnotifyFileSystemWatcherEngine::create()’
      Because When creating the mkspec for a embedded target if the name of the directory does not match "linux-*" then the following build error will be seen.

The resolution is :
    edit ./src/corelib/io/io.pri
    find linux-*:
    append your cross-toolchain's prefix after it

eg:
    my toolchains's prefix is arm_xxxxx
    so....
    68 linux-|arm:{
    69 SOURCES +=
    70 io/qfilesystemwatcher_inotify.cpp
    71 io/qfilesystemwatcher_dnotify.cpp
    73 HEADERS +=
    74 io/qfilesystemwatcher_inotify_p.h
    75 io/qfilesystemwatcher_dnotify_p.h
    76 }

==================================================================

1. /lib/libQtCore.so: undefined reference to `clock_gettime’:
      append "-lrt" parameters after the "./configure" so that the compiler can find the define in librt.

==================================================================

1. “/lib/libQtGui.so: undefined reference to” about X11-lib
      I modified QMAKE_LIBDIR_X11, QMAKE_INCDIR_X11 and QMAKE_LIBS_X11 in /mkspec/common/linux.conf to specify X11 include files and libraries, arm libs. However the Makefile, which qmake generated, did not include X11-LIB in the “LIBS”. So when I compile the demos or examples of QT, there are many of "undefined reference to" errors about X11-LIB, then I append "-lXmu -lXft -lXt -lXcursor -lXrandr -lXrender -lXv -lXdamage -lXcomposite -lxcb-damage -lxcb-composite -lxcb-randr -lxcb-xv -lxcb-xvmc -lxcb-xprint -lxcb-xtest -lxcb-xfixes -lxcb-xinerama -lxcb-xevie -lxcb-xf86dri -lxcb-shape -lxcb-shm -lxcb-sync -lxcb-render -lxcb-res -lxcb-screensaver -lxcb-dpms -lxcb-dri2 -lxcb-record -lxcb-glx -lXfixes -lXext -lX11-xcb -lX11 -lxcb -lXau -lXdmcp -lfontconfig -lfreetype -lpthread-stubs -lexpat -lm -lz -lstdc++ -lglib-2.0 -lSM -lICE -luuid " after "LIBS =" in demos and examples' Makefiles which qmake generated, and it can compile successfully.

But I have not find why my qmake not generate above of X11-LIB in Makefile. I am sure that "linux.conf" is modified correctly.

==============================================

Anyway, I have transplanted QT-LIB to Ubuntu successfully, and I must thank you so much for your warm-heart and help me again and aigan!!! If there were no your guidance, I wound not complete it.

• So, now cross-compiler works fine? And your test-program is running correctly on arm system?

• My test-program works fine, besides two small questions:

1. My .gif files dont display, while I am sure I have compiled libqgif.so in plugins/mageformats, and have put it in qt-lib directory of filesystem.

2. My test-program can generate ico which I selected in Windows platform, but can not generate in Ubuntu platform。 libqico.so has been also in plugins/mageformats.

• i tried to compile the QT with following command by following
    http://forums.digi.com/support/forum/viewthread_thread,6858#20693”

./configure -confirm-license -embedded arm -xplatform qws/linux-arm-g++ -prefix /usr/local/QtEmbedded-4.4.3 -hostprefix /usr/local/DigiEL-5.6/x-tools/arm-cortex_a8-linux-gnueabi -qt-sql-sqlite -depths 15,16 -qt-kbd-usb -qt-mouse-tslib

and i got this error

QMAKE_INCDIR_X11 and QMAKE_LIBDIR_X11 in /home/qmax/Desktop/QT_Latest/qt-x11-opensource-src-4.5.3/mkspecs/qws/linux-arm-g++.

I tried the following
    Try 1:

sudo apt-get build-dep qt4-qmake (installed)

Ref:http://www.qtforum.org/article/27401/debian-xlib-test-failed-after-configure.html

Try 2:

sudo apt-get build-dep  libxext-dev

Ref:http://www.qtforum.org/article/27886/installing-qt4-problem-basic-xlib-functionality-test-failed.html

Try 3:

sudo apt-get install libx11-dev libxau-dev libxaw7-dev libxcb1-dev libxcomposite-dev libxcursor-dev libxdamage-dev libxdmcp-dev
    sudo apt-get install libxext-dev libxfixes-dev libxfont-dev libxft-dev libxi-dev libxinerama-dev libxkbfile-dev libxmu-dev libxmuu-dev
    sudo apt-get install libxpm-dev libxrandr-dev libxrender-dev libxres-dev libxss-dev libxt-dev libxtst-dev libxv-dev libxvmc-dev
    sudo apt-get install libglib2.0-dev
    sudo apt-get install libssl-dev
    sudo apt-get install libgtk2.0-dev
    sudo apt-get install libcups2-dev
    sudo apt-get install libgl1-mesa-dev libglu1-mesa-dev
    sudo apt-get install libgstreamer0.10-dev

Ref:http://qt-project.org/wiki/Compile_Qt_4.7_on_Ubuntu_10.10

Try 4:

sudo apt-get install ^libxcb.* libx11-xcb-dev libglu1-mesa-dev libxrender-dev -y

Ref:http://qt-project.org/forums/viewthread/15858

But nothing works…still same error…..

did anyone got the solution

• Hello Everyone , I am also facing a similar problem.
    I have a BeagleBone Black (Rev A 5c) running Angstrom linux.
    I have ubuntu 13.04 PC as host. I am trying to run a Qt UI application on Beaglebone which is connected to HDMI screen on which by default it shows Desktop Screen.
    First of All , I set up Qt -(4.8.5 )build environment for ARM on my ubuntu (Host).
    Then I transfered The Qt library to Beaglebone.
    I am able to cross compile applications for Beaglebone on Qtcreator .
    I tranfered the executable file to BeagleBone ,The console/terminal applications are running fine but when i Start the GUI application ,No window frame launches up inside the desktop as if app. do not start . I can just see desktop.I followed this tutorial to set up Qt-4.8.5(http://www.cloud-rocket.com/2013/07/building-qt-for-beaglebone).
    Someone PLease help.Your help will be appreciated.

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.