Tips to start coding for Symbian

• Hi,

Last weekend I had my first experience with development for Symbian. It was a little bit painful, and I documented the problems I had here: http://www.esdrasbeleza.com/2012/01/13/the-first-tips-youll-need-before-start-programming-for-symbian-using-qt/

I think it can be useful for somebody that wants start coding for Symbian. Please feel free to report any corrections (corrections for English errors are welcome too :) ).

• Problem with remote compiler!? Strange!! You should have given a trial to fix your prob with that.

Using QML is always a better idea than Heavy Qt Widgets,in my opinion.

Using stacked widget is easy. But its not a Must to do!

• Having a list of "common pitfalls", especially from a beginners point of view, is always a good thing.
    Thanks for sharing!

• [quote author="Rahul Das" date="1326434166"]Problem with remote compiler!? Strange!! You should have given a trial to fix your prob with that.

Using QML is always a better idea than Heavy Qt Widgets,in my opinion.

Using stacked widget is easy. But its not a Must to do![/quote]

You're right, Rahul, it's not a must, so I changed my text. But it was the best solution I've found in some forums and examples.

And yes, I had problems with remote compiler, and the error message didn't give a lot of details, so I couldn't find its reason. I will report an issue suggesting more verbose output.

• :) And liked the 'positive and negative' button part.

• Displaying a widget with show() or exec() works for me, with same work around:

@MyWidget dlg;

#if defined(Q_WS_S60)
    dlg.setWindowState(dlg.windowState() | Qt::WindowMaximized);
    //dlg.setWindowState(dlg.windowState() | Qt::WindowFullScreen);
    #endif

dlg.exec();@

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.