Important: Please read the Qt Code of Conduct - https://forum.qt.io/topic/113070/qt-code-of-conduct

[Pyside2] Multiple QLineEdit signals not working

• Hi !
    Sorry in advance for my english, it's not my main language.

I try to have this code : objQLineEdit.signal.connect(self.function) working under a for loop.
    For testing, i just use a simple print.

For example with this :

for i in range(10):
    objQLineEdit = QLineEdit()
    objQLineEdit.signal.connect(lambda: self.function(objQLineEdit.text()))
    <END CODE>

Only the last QLineEdit has a signal that is working.
    How can i get all of them work ?

Thank's in advance.

• @Geoffrey said in [Pyside2] Multiple QLineEdit signals not working:

Only the last QLineEdit has a signal that is working.

I do not believe that is so. Replace by:

objQLineEdit.signal.connect(lambda: print("Some signal"))

(I don't know what your particular objQLineEdit.signal is, I presume you have something like clicked there, not actually signal. I assume your whole code is an "outline", not real code.)

Does that indeed print when any of the edits are pressed? I believe it should.

What you may have a problem with in Python is your particular lambda:

I'm not 100% about this, but I think that will only ever pass the last value of objQLineEdit. Try:

objQLineEdit.signal.connect(lambda lineEdit=objQLineEdit: self.function(lineEdit.text()))

If that works, this is a Python-esque issue.

• @JonB

You are right ! It was indeed the lambda the real problem.
    And yes it is an "outline" code.

Thank you its working ! :)

• @Geoffrey
    This business of needing in Python to write:

for objQLineEdit in ...:
        objQLineEdit.signal.connect(lambda lineEdit=objQLineEdit: self.function(lineEdit.text()))

really threw me when I first came across it. It works differently from the C++ lambda:

connect(objQLineEdit,  &Class::signal, [objQLineEdit]() { qDebug() << objLineEdit.text(); });

In the C++ you get the lambda's objLineEdit to be the current value of objQLineEdit when it was set up, like you'd expect.

But in the Python

you get all the lambdas connecting to the last value objQLineEdit had when the loop was run. Passing it as a parameter to the lambda by

seems to be the equivalent of the C++ lambda, so that it references the objQLineEdit as it was when the line was executed.

Keep this in mind, as it comes up again whenever you write Python lambdas in Qt! :)

• @JonB said in [Pyside2] Multiple QLineEdit signals not working:

@Geoffrey
    This business of needing in Python to write:

for objQLineEdit in ...:

really threw me when I first came across it.

I have the same reaction :p

Keep this in mind, as it comes up again whenever you write Python lambdas in Qt! :)

Yes i try to not reproduce twice the same mistake and learn from it :)