Important: Please read the Qt Code of Conduct - https://forum.qt.io/topic/113070/qt-code-of-conduct

Compile errors

• Hello. This is my first post. My name is David Bryant. I help maintain KDE documentation, primarily for KMail and associated applications. I have 10 different flavors of Linux installed on my Dell XPS 8930. Mostly I use Gentoo, now that it's up and running. I use the KDE desktop, so I rely on the qt libraries. I've been a Linux / KDE user since 2003.

Enough about me. Qtwebengine has been problematic for a while, mainly because it takes a long time to compile. For instance, when I compiled it on October 3, 2020. it took about 121 minutes. Compiling the Linux kernel only takes five or six minutes. I have looked at the system while the make for qtwebengine is running, and the big slowdown occurs when / if the compiler starts using swap (virtual) memory. I have 16 GB of real memory, and I have allocated an 8 GB swap partition.

Yesterday the Gentoo package manager (Portage) said I needed to rebuild qtwebengine-5.15.1, which I had just recompiled on October 13. The first time I tried, the compilation died after six hours. So this morning I tried again, setting the "jumbo-build" USE flag. This time the package compiled and linked OK, but I got a lot of error messages. Here they are.

>>> Completed installing dev-qt/qtwebengine-5.15.1 into /var/tmp/portage/dev-qt/qtwebengine-5.15.1/image

* Final size of build directory: 3523324 KiB (  3.3 GiB)
     * Final size of installed tree:   199300 KiB (194.6 MiB)

* QA Notice: Package triggers severe warnings which indicate that it
     *            may exhibit random runtime failures.
     * ../../../../qtwebengine-everywhere-src-5.15.1/src/3rdparty/chromium/third_party/webrtc/api/function_view.h:79:17: warning: the compiler can assume that the address of ‘f’ will never be NULL [-Waddress]
     * ../../../../qtwebengine-everywhere-src-5.15.1/src/3rdparty/chromium/third_party/webrtc/modules/video_coding/codecs/vp9/svc_rate_allocator.cc:143:65: warning: array subscript 18446744073709551615 is above array bounds of ‘const webrtc::SpatialLayer [5]’ [-Warray-bounds]
     * /usr/include/bits/string_fortified.h:71:33: warning: ‘void* __builtin_memset(void*, int, long unsigned int)’ offset [25, 32] from the object at ‘content::_LevelDBScopesScopeMetadata_LevelDBScopesLock_default_instance_’ is out of the bounds of referenced subobject ‘content::LevelDBScopesScopeMetadata_LevelDBScopesLock::range_’ with type ‘content::LevelDBScopesKeyRange*’ at offset 16 [-Warray-bounds]
     * /usr/include/bits/string_fortified.h:71:33: warning: ‘void* __builtin_memset(void*, int, long unsigned int)’ offset [25, 102] from the object at ‘perfetto::protos::_ChromeTracePacket_default_instance_’ is out of the bounds of referenced subobject ‘perfetto::protos::ChromeTracePacket::chrome_events_’ with type ‘perfetto::protos::ChromeEventBundle*’ at offset 16 [-Warray-bounds]
     * /usr/include/bits/string_fortified.h:71:33: warning: ‘void* __builtin_memset(void*, int, long unsigned int)’ offset [33, 100] from the object at ‘dummy_event’ is out of the bounds of referenced subobject ‘blink::WebMouseEvent::<anonymous>’ with type ‘blink::WebInputEvent’ at offset 0 [-Warray-bounds]
     * /usr/include/bits/string_fortified.h:71:33: warning: ‘void* __builtin_memset(void*, int, long unsigned int)’ offset [33, 68] from the object at ‘tap_event’ is out of the bounds of referenced subobject ‘blink::WebGestureEvent::<anonymous>’ with type ‘blink::WebInputEvent’ at offset 0 [-Warray-bounds]
     * /usr/include/bits/string_fortified.h:71:33: warning: ‘void* __builtin_memset(void*, int, long unsigned int)’ offset [33, 68] from the object at ‘pinch_event’ is out of the bounds of referenced subobject ‘blink::WebGestureEvent::<anonymous>’ with type ‘blink::WebInputEvent’ at offset 0 [-Warray-bounds]
     * /usr/include/bits/string_fortified.h:71:33: warning: ‘void* __builtin_memset(void*, int, long unsigned int)’ offset [33, 68] from the object at ‘scroll_event’ is out of the bounds of referenced subobject ‘blink::WebGestureEvent::<anonymous>’ with type ‘blink::WebInputEvent’ at offset 0 [-Warray-bounds]
     * /usr/include/bits/string_fortified.h:71:33: warning: ‘void* __builtin_memset(void*, int, long unsigned int)’ offset [33, 68] from the object at ‘#‘result_decl’ not supported by dump_expr#<expression error>’ is out of the bounds of referenced subobject ‘blink::WebGestureEvent::<anonymous>’ with type ‘blink::WebInputEvent’ at offset 0 [-Warray-bounds]
     * /usr/include/bits/string_fortified.h:71:33: warning: ‘void* __builtin_memset(void*, int, long unsigned int)’ offset [33, 148] from the object at ‘synthetic_wheel’ is out of the bounds of referenced subobject ‘blink::WebMouseEvent::<anonymous>’ with type ‘blink::WebInputEvent’ at offset 0 [-Warray-bounds]
     * /usr/include/bits/string_fortified.h:71:33: warning: ‘void* __builtin_memset(void*, int, long unsigned int)’ offset [33, 68] from the object at ‘synthetic_gesture’ is out of the bounds of referenced subobject ‘blink::WebGestureEvent::<anonymous>’ with type ‘blink::WebInputEvent’ at offset 0 [-Warray-bounds]
     * /usr/include/bits/string_fortified.h:71:33: warning: ‘void* __builtin_memset(void*, int, long unsigned int)’ offset [33, 68] from the object at ‘scroll_update’ is out of the bounds of referenced subobject ‘blink::WebGestureEvent::<anonymous>’ with type ‘blink::WebInputEvent’ at offset 0 [-Warray-bounds]
     * /usr/include/bits/string_fortified.h:71:33: warning: ‘void* __builtin_memset(void*, int, long unsigned int)’ offset [33, 1264] from the object at ‘touch’ is out of the bounds of referenced subobject ‘blink::WebTouchEvent::<anonymous>’ with type ‘blink::WebInputEvent’ at offset 0 [-Warray-bounds]
     * /usr/include/bits/string_fortified.h:71:33: warning: ‘void* __builtin_memset(void*, int, long unsigned int)’ offset [33, 148] from the object at ‘<anonymous>’ is out of the bounds of referenced subobject ‘blink::WebMouseEvent::<anonymous>’ with type ‘blink::WebInputEvent’ at offset 0 [-Warray-bounds]
     * /usr/include/bits/string_fortified.h:71:33: warning: ‘void* __builtin_memset(void*, int, long unsigned int)’ offset [33, 68] from the object at ‘scroll_end’ is out of the bounds of referenced subobject ‘blink::WebGestureEvent::<anonymous>’ with type ‘blink::WebInputEvent’ at offset 0 [-Warray-bounds]
     * /usr/include/bits/string_fortified.h:71:33: warning: ‘void* __builtin_memset(void*, int, long unsigned int)’ offset [33, 100] from the object at ‘#‘result_decl’ not supported by dump_expr#<expression error>’ is out of the bounds of referenced subobject ‘blink::WebMouseEvent::<anonymous>’ with type ‘blink::WebInputEvent’ at offset 0 [-Warray-bounds]
     * /usr/include/bits/string_fortified.h:71:33: warning: ‘void* __builtin_memset(void*, int, long unsigned int)’ offset [33, 148] from the object at ‘#‘result_decl’ not supported by dump_expr#<expression error>’ is out of the bounds of referenced subobject ‘blink::WebMouseEvent::<anonymous>’ with type ‘blink::WebInputEvent’ at offset 0 [-Warray-bounds]
     * /usr/include/bits/string_fortified.h:71:33: warning: ‘void* __builtin_memset(void*, int, long unsigned int)’ offset [33, 68] from the object at ‘#‘result_decl’ not supported by dump_expr#<expression error>’ is out of the bounds of referenced subobject ‘blink::WebKeyboardEvent::<anonymous>’ with type ‘blink::WebInputEvent’ at offset 0 [-Warray-bounds]
     * /usr/include/bits/string_fortified.h:71:33: warning: ‘void* __builtin_memset(void*, int, long unsigned int)’ offset [33, 68] from the object at ‘#‘result_decl’ not supported by dump_expr#<expression error>’ is out of the bounds of referenced subobject ‘blink::WebGestureEvent::<anonymous>’ with type ‘blink::WebInputEvent’ at offset 0 [-Warray-bounds]
     * /usr/include/bits/string_fortified.h:71:33: warning: ‘void* __builtin_memset(void*, int, long unsigned int)’ offset [33, 1264] from the object at ‘<anonymous>’ is out of the bounds of referenced subobject ‘blink::WebTouchEvent::<anonymous>’ with type ‘blink::WebInputEvent’ at offset 0 [-Warray-bounds]
     * /usr/include/bits/string_fortified.h:71:33: warning: ‘void* __builtin_memset(void*, int, long unsigned int)’ offset [33, 100] from the object at ‘mouse’ is out of the bounds of referenced subobject ‘blink::WebMouseEvent::<anonymous>’ with type ‘blink::WebInputEvent’ at offset 0 [-Warray-bounds]
     * /usr/include/bits/string_fortified.h:71:33: warning: ‘void* __builtin_memset(void*, int, long unsigned int)’ offset [33, 68] from the object at ‘char_event’ is out of the bounds of referenced subobject ‘blink::WebKeyboardEvent::<anonymous>’ with type ‘blink::WebInputEvent’ at offset 0 [-Warray-bounds]
     * /usr/include/bits/string_fortified.h:71:33: warning: ‘void* __builtin_memset(void*, int, long unsigned int)’ offset [33, 100] from the object at ‘mouseMove’ is out of the bounds of referenced subobject ‘blink::WebMouseEvent::<anonymous>’ with type ‘blink::WebInputEvent’ at offset 0 [-Warray-bounds]
     * /usr/include/bits/string_fortified.h:71:33: warning: ‘void* __builtin_memset(void*, int, long unsigned int)’ offset [33, 100] from the object at ‘event’ is out of the bounds of referenced subobject ‘blink::WebMouseEvent::<anonymous>’ with type ‘blink::WebInputEvent’ at offset 0 [-Warray-bounds]
     * /usr/include/bits/string_fortified.h:71:33: warning: ‘void* __builtin_memset(void*, int, long unsigned int)’ offset [33, 1264] from the object at ‘<anonymous>’ is out of the bounds of referenced subobject ‘blink::WebTouchEvent::<anonymous>’ with type ‘blink::WebInputEvent’ at offset 0 [-Warray-bounds]
     * /usr/include/bits/string_fortified.h:71:33: warning: ‘void* __builtin_memset(void*, int, long unsigned int)’ offset [33, 116] from the object at ‘pointer_cancel_event’ is out of the bounds of referenced subobject ‘blink::WebPointerEvent::<anonymous>’ with type ‘blink::WebInputEvent’ at offset 0 [-Warray-bounds]
     * /usr/include/bits/string_fortified.h:71:33: warning: ‘void* __builtin_memset(void*, int, long unsigned int)’ offset [33, 1264] from the object at ‘event’ is out of the bounds of referenced subobject ‘blink::WebTouchEvent::<anonymous>’ with type ‘blink::WebInputEvent’ at offset 0 [-Warray-bounds]
     * /usr/include/bits/string_fortified.h:71:33: warning: ‘void* __builtin_memset(void*, int, long unsigned int)’ offset [33, 100] from the object at ‘<anonymous>’ is out of the bounds of referenced subobject ‘blink::WebMouseEvent::<anonymous>’ with type ‘blink::WebInputEvent’ at offset 0 [-Warray-bounds]
     * ../../../../qtwebengine-everywhere-src-5.15.1/src/3rdparty/chromium/base/logging.h:559:23: warning: the compiler can assume that the address of ‘response’ will never be NULL [-Waddress]
     * /usr/include/bits/string_fortified.h:71:33: warning: ‘void* __builtin_memset(void*, int, long unsigned int)’ offset [33, 116] from the object at ‘#‘result_decl’ not supported by dump_expr#<expression error>’ is out of the bounds of referenced subobject ‘blink::WebPointerEvent::<anonymous>’ with type ‘blink::WebInputEvent’ at offset 0 [-Warray-bounds]
     * /usr/include/bits/string_fortified.h:71:33: warning: ‘void* __builtin_memset(void*, int, long unsigned int)’ offset [33, 68] from the object at ‘#‘result_decl’ not supported by dump_expr#<expression error>’ is out of the bounds of referenced subobject ‘blink::WebKeyboardEvent::<anonymous>’ with type ‘blink::WebInputEvent’ at offset 0 [-Warray-bounds]
     * /usr/include/bits/string_fortified.h:71:33: warning: ‘void* __builtin_memset(void*, int, long unsigned int)’ offset [33, 148] from the object at ‘#‘result_decl’ not supported by dump_expr#<expression error>’ is out of the bounds of referenced subobject ‘blink::WebMouseEvent::<anonymous>’ with type ‘blink::WebInputEvent’ at offset 0 [-Warray-bounds]
     * /usr/include/bits/string_fortified.h:71:33: warning: ‘void* __builtin_memset(void*, int, long unsigned int)’ offset [33, 100] from the object at ‘#‘result_decl’ not supported by dump_expr#<expression error>’ is out of the bounds of referenced subobject ‘blink::WebMouseEvent::<anonymous>’ with type ‘blink::WebInputEvent’ at offset 0 [-Warray-bounds]
     * /usr/include/bits/string_fortified.h:71:33: warning: ‘void* __builtin_memset(void*, int, long unsigned int)’ offset [33, 68] from the object at ‘scroll_event’ is out of the bounds of referenced subobject ‘blink::WebGestureEvent::<anonymous>’ with type ‘blink::WebInputEvent’ at offset 0 [-Warray-bounds]
     * /usr/include/bits/string_fortified.h:71:33: warning: ‘void* __builtin_memset(void*, int, long unsigned int)’ offset [33, 1264] from the object at ‘#‘result_decl’ not supported by dump_expr#<expression error>’ is out of the bounds of referenced subobject ‘blink::WebTouchEvent::<anonymous>’ with type ‘blink::WebInputEvent’ at offset 0 [-Warray-bounds]

* Please do not file a Gentoo bug and instead report the above QA
     * issues directly to the upstream developers of this software.
     * Homepage: https://www.qt.io/

I went back and checked the log files for a couple of previous builds of qtwebengine, and found the same errors, with minor exceptions. I guess I just wasn't payig attention before ... as long as the make process finishes successfully, I generally don't look at the log files very closely. This time the compiler actually died on the first try, and I had to put in some extra effort, so I noticed the errors..

I've done a little bit of C programming (I wrote a lot of assembly language programs on IBM mainframes before I retired, too), so I understand that these errors are just warnings. Still, the package manager said I should report them to the qt team. I'm not sure I ought to file a bug report. So I decided to ask about these compile time errors here, in the forum, and get your advice. Report as a bug? Or just accept them, because they've been there for a long time?

Thank you for your kind assistance.

• @David-Bryant said in Compile errors:

• ../../../../qtwebengine-everywhere-src-5.15.1/src/3rdparty/chromium/third_party/webrtc/modules/video_coding/codecs/vp9/svc_rate_allocator.cc:143:65:
      warning: array subscript 18446744073709551615 is above array bounds of ‘const webrtc::SpatialLayer [5]’ [-Warray-bounds]

Sorry, couldn't help comment that this makes me smile, 18446744073709551615 looks like a very big subscript for an array apparently intended to have 5 elements ;-)

Hope you will get a response from someone here who knows if this sort of thing matters/should be reported....

• Lifetime Qt Champion

Hi and welcome to devnet,

Thanks for the doc work !

Sure it's a good idea to report them. Note that this looks located down in the chromium parts so not directly related to the Qt part itself but still it's better to have a ticket with that information so the maintainers are aware of that. Since you are on Gentoo, you should also provide your USE flags and that kind of details.