Important: Please read the Qt Code of Conduct - https://forum.qt.io/topic/113070/qt-code-of-conduct

QMake doesn't work properly

• HI

I am on Ubuntu 20.04 LTS and I've just installed Qt through the command :

sudo apt install qt5-default

but QMake doesn't seem to work properly.

Even when I add QT += widgets in the project file (.pro), the compilation with Make fails because it can't find QApplication.

I generated the makefile with the command

qmake project.pro -o Makefile

and I get a makefile which the variable INCPATH is only set to

INCPATH       = -I. -I/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/qt5/mkspecs/linux-g++

Anybody knows how to fix this properly ?

Cordially

• I've managed to fix it.

I set the variable CONFIG to debug in my project file and I think that's why the modules weren't added.
    I took this line off and I was able to compile and run my program.

Thank you for trying to help me

• Lifetime Qt Champion

@Johnnyk91 Is libqt5widgets5 package also installed?

• @jsulm Hi

I've just checked with

sudo dpkg --list

and it is installed.

I've also found the directory with the Qt Headers QApplication, QObject, etc...

• Lifetime Qt Champion

Hi,

Just an educated guess but check the qmake version. It's possible that you are currently using a Qt 4 qmake.

• Lifetime Qt Champion

--> qmake -v to get the qmake version

and maybe qmake -d <foo>.pro to see what exactly happens.

• @SGaist By running the command

qmake -v

I get this

QMake version 3.1
    Using Qt version 5.12.8 in /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu

@Christian-Ehrlicher By running the command

qmake -d <foo>

I get this

bash: syntax error near unexpected token `newline'

• Lifetime Qt Champion

That looks good.

What do you get if you just call "qmake project.pro" without any other parameters ?

• @SGaist The terminal doesn't display any message.
    The Makefile generated is the same.

• Lifetime Qt Champion

@Johnnyk91 said in QMake doesn't work properly:

qmake -d <foo>

I get this
    bash: syntax error near unexpected token `newline'

You did not really put 'qmake -d <foo>' into your command line and wondered that it did not work? Do you???

• @Christian-Ehrlicher I don't know what you mean but I tried

qmake -d

and I got a lot of lines starting with DEBUG 1

• Qt Champions 2017

and it is installed.
    I've also found the directory with the Qt Headers QApplication, QObject, etc...

Make sure the development packages are installed, that is qtbase5-dev and qtbase5-dev-tools.

• @kshegunov Thank you for your suggestion. I turned off my computer. I'll check tomorrow and come back to you.

• @kshegunov I've just checked and they were already installed.

All the packages related to qt on my computer are

ii  libqt5concurrent5:amd64                    5.12.8+dfsg-0ubuntu1                amd64        Qt 5 concurrent module
    ii  libqt5core5a:amd64                         5.12.8+dfsg-0ubuntu1                amd64        Qt 5 core module
    ii  libqt5dbus5:amd64                          5.12.8+dfsg-0ubuntu1                amd64        Qt 5 D-Bus module
    ii  libqt5gui5:amd64                           5.12.8+dfsg-0ubuntu1                amd64        Qt 5 GUI module
    ii  libqt5network5:amd64                       5.12.8+dfsg-0ubuntu1                amd64        Qt 5 network module
    ii  libqt5opengl5:amd64                        5.12.8+dfsg-0ubuntu1                amd64        Qt 5 OpenGL module
    ii  libqt5opengl5-dev:amd64                    5.12.8+dfsg-0ubuntu1                amd64        Qt 5 OpenGL library development files
    ii  libqt5printsupport5:amd64                  5.12.8+dfsg-0ubuntu1                amd64        Qt 5 print support module
    ii  libqt5sql5:amd64                           5.12.8+dfsg-0ubuntu1                amd64        Qt 5 SQL module
    ii  libqt5sql5-sqlite:amd64                    5.12.8+dfsg-0ubuntu1                amd64        Qt 5 SQLite 3 database driver
    ii  libqt5svg5:amd64                           5.12.8-0ubuntu1                     amd64        Qt 5 SVG module
    ii  libqt5test5:amd64                          5.12.8+dfsg-0ubuntu1                amd64        Qt 5 test module
    ii  libqt5widgets5:amd64                       5.12.8+dfsg-0ubuntu1                amd64        Qt 5 widgets module
    ii  libqt5xml5:amd64                           5.12.8+dfsg-0ubuntu1                amd64        Qt 5 XML module
    ii  libqwt-qt5-6                               6.1.4-1.1build1                     amd64        Qt widgets library for technical applications (runtime, qt5)
    ii  qt5-default:amd64                          5.12.8+dfsg-0ubuntu1                amd64        Qt 5 development defaults package
    ii  qt5-gtk-platformtheme:amd64                5.12.8+dfsg-0ubuntu1                amd64        Qt 5 GTK+ 3 platform theme
    ii  qt5-qmake:amd64                            5.12.8+dfsg-0ubuntu1                amd64        Qt 5 qmake Makefile generator tool
    ii  qt5-qmake-bin                              5.12.8+dfsg-0ubuntu1                amd64        Qt 5 qmake Makefile generator tool — binary file
    ii  qtbase5-dev:amd64                          5.12.8+dfsg-0ubuntu1                amd64        Qt 5 base development files
    ii  qtbase5-dev-tools                          5.12.8+dfsg-0ubuntu1                amd64        Qt 5 base development programs
    ii  qtchooser                                  66-2build1                          amd64        Wrapper to select between Qt development binary versions
    ii  qttranslations5-l10n                       5.12.8-0ubuntu1                     all          translations for Qt 5

• Moderators

All the packages related to qt on my computer are

You have installed the runtime packages.

As @kshegunov said, you must also install the development packages.

• @JKSH Are the development packages qtbase5-dev and qtbase5-dev-tools ?

• Moderators

@JKSH Are the development packages qtbase5-dev and qtbase5-dev-tools ?

Ah, sorry... I just noticed that you do have qtbase5-dev and qtbase5-dev-tools installed. OK, you already have the development packages.

Next thing to try: Install Qt Creator and see if you can use it to build an application.

• I've managed to fix it.

I set the variable CONFIG to debug in my project file and I think that's why the modules weren't added.
    I took this line off and I was able to compile and run my program.

Thank you for trying to help me

• Lifetime Qt Champion

If you did something like

CONFIG = debug

You, in fact, nuked the content of the variable and replaced it with debug.

If you want to modify the content of such a variable, use either += or *=. The first to add a value and the second to add the value only if not already in the variable.