Important: Please read the Qt Code of Conduct - https://forum.qt.io/topic/113070/qt-code-of-conduct

Problems with object design, how to get over ambiguous warnings.

• In my original design I have created classes with are derived from Qt base widget classes and these derived classes have a common node member.

Now I am changing the design as there are elements in the node which would benefit if the node class was a base class with pure virtual functions that would be defined in the derived widget classes.

For example, originally:

class clsQtPushBtn : public QPushButton {
        Q_OBJECT
            friend class clsXMLnode;

private:
            clsXMLnode* mpobjNode;

Now, the new design is cleaner and more powerful:

class clsQtPushBtn : public QPushButton, clsXMLnode {
    Q_OBJECT

The issue I'm getting now is when I try to compile I see:

moc_clsQtPushBtn.cpp:78:21: error: ambiguous conversion from derived class 'const clsQtPushBtn' to base class 'QObject':
        class clsQtPushBtn -> class QPushButton -> class QAbstractButton -> class QWidget -> class QObject
        class clsQtPushBtn -> class clsXMLnode -> class QObject
        return QObject::d_ptr->metaObject ? QObject::d_ptr->dynamicMetaObject() : &staticMetaObject;
                        ^~~~~
    moc_clsQtPushBtn.cpp:78:50: error: ambiguous conversion from derived class 'const clsQtPushBtn' to base class 'QObject':
        class clsQtPushBtn -> class QPushButton -> class QAbstractButton -> class QWidget -> class QObject
        class clsQtPushBtn -> class clsXMLnode -> class QObject
        return QObject::d_ptr->metaObject ? QObject::d_ptr->dynamicMetaObject() : &staticMetaObject;
                                                     ^~~~~

Is there anyway to solve this?

One possible cause could be that in the original design which I haven't change yet:

class clsXMLnode : public QObject {
    Q_OBJECT

Would removing Q_OBJECT and not deriving from QObject help?

• Thanks, I think I'll have to keep the original design and look for another way to simplify things.

• Qt Champions 2017

@SPlatten said in Problems with object design, how to get over ambiguous warnings.:

Thanks, I think I'll have to keep the original design and look for another way to simplify things.

Aggregate instead. Your button isn't a node to begin with, so here the multiple inheritance is even ideologically wrong. If you have a class Car it shouldn't inherit from SteeringWheel and Engine, the car is not an engine, nor is it a steering wheel. It has an engine on the other hand.

• Your thinking depends on the granularity of the design. My design is that every thing is a node must like in OOP everything is an object.

• Qt Champions 2019

You simply can't derive from QObject two times - fix your design.

• I was never trying to do that anyway.