Important: Please read the Qt Code of Conduct - https://forum.qt.io/topic/113070/qt-code-of-conduct

Build statically linked app for mac

• I am trying to follow the instructions here to build a statically linked app to distribute to my team members who do not have QT installed. (We are a golang shop). However; it is not working for me.

it says

cd /path/to/Qt
    ./configure -static <other parameters>
    make sub-src

I have QT installed in ~/Qt.

And if I go there I find a configure file in ~/Qt/5.12.7/src.

I can run ./configure -static.

I can't run make sub-src, that doesn't work but I can run just make. It takes a few hours to finish.

I then open my project in QT Creator and set the build to release, then run Qmake from qt creator.

I find a directory called build-appname-release in the same folder as source code. I can then go in there run

make clean
    make

and I have an executable. When I run

otool -L myapp.app/Contents/MacOs/myapp

I see

@rpath/QtWidgets.framework/Versions/5/QtWidgets (compatibility version 5.12.0, current version 5.12.7)
    	@rpath/QtGui.framework/Versions/5/QtGui (compatibility version 5.12.0, current version 5.12.7)
    	@rpath/QtCore.framework/Versions/5/QtCore (compatibility version 5.12.0, current version 5.12.7)

I assume this mean's it is not statically linked and if I give this to my teammates it will not work. What am I doing wrong

TLDR: How can I produce a statically linked app from a simple QT project to distribute to my teammates who don't have QT installed. The current approach outlined in the docs don't seem to work.

• Lifetime Qt Champion

Hi and welcome to devnet,

The most straightforward is to keep using your dynamic build of Qt and use macdeployqt to prepare your bundle for distribution.

• @SGaist Hey thanks that seems to work. I'm not sure what the -qmldir thing is about but it seems to work with Qt moved to another folder

• Lifetime Qt Champion

The qmldir option is to point the tool to your qml sources, if you use any, so that the corresponding dependencies are also deployed.