Important: Please read the Qt Code of Conduct - https://forum.qt.io/topic/113070/qt-code-of-conduct

Shipping configuration files with Foo.app

• I have some configuration files I want to package into my Foo.app. (I'm currently strictly developing on Mac Desktop). I've tried a few things and done some searching, but the solution is eluding me.

I tried just adding the files to the project. They aren't moved into the ../build-Foo* directories.

I made my .json files part of the Resources list by editing the .pro, but that didn't do anything -- not even change how they display in the navigator inside Qt Creator.

Is there an automatic way to do this? For now, I'm copying with a little script.

• Lifetime Qt Champion

Hi and welcome to devnet,

If you have put your files in Qt's resources system, they are built in your application.

What kind of configuration file are you using ?
    How will they be used by your application ?

• It's a desktop Widget GUI app.

The files contain JSON and define some extensive default behavior for a process engine. I'm building a Beat Saber map editor for Mac that works on the concept of patterns.

For instance, one pattern is a simple down stroke of a blue cube. Another pattern is the same thing for a red cube. Up strokes of each are two more patterns. Those are easy. But then we can do down-up. Or we can do a sort of swirl combo of down, up-left, up, and then we can repeat that pattern 3 or 4 times fairly quickly. You end up twirling the saber in circles. It's kind of fun, once you recognize the pattern. The first time I hit it, I flailed hard.

And then we can do that 3 times on blue, and 3 times on red.

Rather than manually laying out each cube, I'm designing patterns, and the program can insert the entire pattern for me. And I'm going to see how well I can get it to generate an entire map from a single click. We'll see if I'm clever enough for that algorithm to work well.

The JSON files define the well-known patterns I might use a lot.

Once I'm satisfied, I'll open-source the project on github and maybe someone will do the work to make it build on Windows, too. I don't have any Windows in the house to test against, so for now I'm staying Mac-centric.

• Lifetime Qt Champion

Then why not put the json into a resource file like @SGaist proposed?

• @Christian-Ehrlicher said in Shipping configuration files with Foo.app:

Then why not put the json into a resource file like @SGaist proposed?

I wasn't sure how to accomplish that, and ultimately it's going to be quite a bit of JSON. However, I stumbled across a solution. In my Foo.pro file:

myPatterns.files = $$PWD/Patterns
    myPatterns.path = Contents/Resources
    QMAKE_BUNDLE_DATA += myPatterns

I got that from this:

https://www.ics.com/blog/your-guide-deploying-qt-applications-macos

It may be that putting it into a resource file would have been the proper choice. I'm still a bit of a Qt newbie. The only thing I've used resources files for so far are icons.

I like the solution I stumbled on, but maybe it's not a good solution. For now, it's working.

• Lifetime Qt Champion

No problem with that solution, it's the proper way to ship resources especially if they are big.

Will these files be changed somehow or are they meant to be read-only ?