Important: Please read the Qt Code of Conduct - https://forum.qt.io/topic/113070/qt-code-of-conduct

How to pass additional argument to doWork() Thread

• I have a simple multithreaded program to perform certain tasks in doWork() function.

MainWindow::MainWindow(QWidget *parent) :
        QMainWindow(parent),
        ui(new Ui::MainWindow)
    {
        ui->setupUi(this);

thread = new QThread();
        worker = new Worker();

worker->moveToThread(thread);
        connect(worker, SIGNAL(valueChanged(QString)), ui->label, SLOT(setText(QString)));
        connect(worker, SIGNAL(workRequested()), thread, SLOT(start()));
        connect(thread, SIGNAL(started()), worker, SLOT(doWork()));
        connect(worker, SIGNAL(finished()), thread, SLOT(quit()), Qt::DirectConnection);

while(1)
        {
           worker->abort();
        //    thread->wait(); 

worker->requestWork();
        }
    }

The fact is I need to pass an additional argument to doWork() function to work with it. I can't find any way to pass the parameter to doWork() function.

My doWork function should be like:

void doWork(int x, Qstring name)

• Lifetime Qt Champion

Hi
    Just make the worker object accept them in another way.
    Worker->setData(46,"sigmind");
    as the started() signal from the thread, won't have any way to give DoWork any parameters anyway.
    (not in a dynamic manner)

• Moderators

@sigmind since you're using qt 4 syntax, why don't you define a custom signal with default arguments ?

//worker.h

signals:
        void startSignal(int defaultInt = 0, QString defaultString = "default");

//----
    connect(thread, SIGNAL(started()), worker, SIGNAL(startSignal()));
    connect(worker, SIGNAL(startSignal(int, QString)), worker, SLOT(doWork(int, QString)));

Well, I'm still in holiday mode.
    Ignore that, simply give your doWork slot default arguments and you can connect it directly to the started signal.

• if the arguments are passed by value and known at the time of connection then you can also use
    connect(thread, &QThreadstarted, worker, std::bind(&Worker::doWork,worker,2,QStringLiteral("hello")));