Qt World Summit: Submit your Presentation

QSqlDatabase: QPSQL driver not loaded

• updated: this is what I got from QT_DEBUG_PLUGINS:

"The plugin 'D:/Qt/5.14.0/msvc2017_64/plugins/sqldrivers/qsqlodbcd.dll' uses incompatible Qt library. (Cannot mix debug and release libraries.)" 
             not a plugin
    QFactoryLoader::QFactoryLoader() looking at "D:/Qt/5.14.0/msvc2017_64/plugins/sqldrivers/qsqlpsql.dll"
    Found metadata in lib D:/Qt/5.14.0/msvc2017_64/plugins/sqldrivers/qsqlpsql.dll, metadata=
    {
        "IID": "org.qt-project.Qt.QSqlDriverFactoryInterface",
        "MetaData": {
            "Keys": [
                "QPSQL7",
                "QPSQL"
            ]
        },
        "archreq": 0,
        "className": "QPSQLDriverPlugin",
        "debug": false,
        "version": 331264
    }

Got keys from plugin meta data ("QPSQL7", "QPSQL")
    QFactoryLoader::QFactoryLoader() looking at "D:/Qt/5.14.0/msvc2017_64/plugins/sqldrivers/qsqlpsqld.dll"
    Found metadata in lib D:/Qt/5.14.0/msvc2017_64/plugins/sqldrivers/qsqlpsqld.dll, metadata=
    {
        "IID": "org.qt-project.Qt.QSqlDriverFactoryInterface",
        "MetaData": {
            "Keys": [
                "QPSQL7",
                "QPSQL"
            ]
        },
        "archreq": 1,
        "className": "QPSQLDriverPlugin",
        "debug": true,
        "version": 331264
    }

"The plugin 'D:/Qt/5.14.0/msvc2017_64/plugins/sqldrivers/qsqlpsqld.dll' uses incompatible Qt library. (Cannot mix debug and release libraries.)" 
             not a plugin
    QFactoryLoader::QFactoryLoader() checking directory path "C:/Users/nkbar/Documents/build-myRPG_alpha-Desktop_Qt_5_14_0_MSVC2017_64bit-Release/Server/release/sqldrivers" ...
    Cannot load library D:\Qt\5.14.0\msvc2017_64\plugins\sqldrivers\qsqlpsql.dll: The specified module could not be found.
    QLibraryPrivate::loadPlugin failed on "D:/Qt/5.14.0/msvc2017_64/plugins/sqldrivers/qsqlpsql.dll" : "Cannot load library D:\\Qt\\5.14.0\\msvc2017_64\\plugins\\sqldrivers\\qsqlpsql.dll: The specified module could not be found."
    QSqlDatabase: available drivers: QSQLITE QODBC QODBC3 QPSQL QPSQL7
    QFactoryLoader::QFactoryLoader() checking directory path "D:/Qt/5.14.0/msvc2017_64/plugins/accessible" ...
    QFactoryLoader::QFactoryLoader() checking directory path "C:/Users/nkbar/Documents/build-myRPG_alpha-Desktop_Qt_5_14_0_MSVC2017_64bit-Release/Server/release/accessible" ...
    QFactoryLoader::QFactoryLoader() checking directory path "D:/Qt/5.14.0/msvc2017_64/plugins/accessiblebridge" ...
    QFactoryLoader::QFactoryLoader() checking directory path "C:/Users/nkbar/Documents/build-myRPG_alpha-Desktop_Qt_5_14_0_MSVC2017_64bit-Release/Server/release/accessiblebridge" ...

I checked "D:\Qt\5.14.0\msvc2017_64\plugins\sqldrivers\qsqlpsqld.dll" and I did found the dll which the debugger reports as missing. And I am also confused about why it complains about "'D:/Qt/5.14.0/msvc2017_64/plugins/sqldrivers/qsqlpsql.dll' uses incompatible Qt library.

The kit I am using is msvc2017 64bit and the postgre I downloaded is also for 64bit.

Errors:
    QSqlDatabase: available drivers: QSQLITE QODBC QODBC3 QPSQL QPSQL7

qt: 5.14.0
    kit: msvc2017 64bit
    PostgreSQL: 12.1

Sqlite works well, but my project just can't work with PostgreSQL.

I followed the official instruction: https://doc.qt.io/qt-5/sql-driver.html#qpsql

Got no error but still couldn't connect to PostgreSQL. Same error messages saying that "QPSQL driver not loaded".

I have also tried other solutions from here and stackoverflow and reinstall my qt 4 times, No luck still. I am really frustrated now and don't know what to do.

the .pro:

QT += core network gui widgets sql

greaterThan(QT_MAJOR_VERSION, 4): QT += widgets

CONFIG += c++11

QTPLUGIN += QPSQL
    QT_DEBUG_PLUGINS=1

# The following define makes your compiler emit warnings if you use
    # any Qt feature that has been marked deprecated (the exact warnings
    # depend on your compiler). Please consult the documentation of the
    # deprecated API in order to know how to port your code away from it.
    DEFINES += QT_DEPRECATED_WARNINGS

# You can also make your code fail to compile if it uses deprecated APIs.
    # In order to do so, uncomment the following line.
    # You can also select to disable deprecated APIs only up to a certain version of Qt.
    #DEFINES += QT_DISABLE_DEPRECATED_BEFORE=0x060000    # disables all the APIs deprecated before Qt 6.0.0

#INCLUDEPATH += "D:\psql\include"

#LIBS += "D:\psql\lib\libpq.lib"

SOURCES += \
        battle.cpp \
        creature.cpp \
        player.cpp \
        server.cpp \
        servermain.cpp \
        serverwindow.cpp \
        serverworker.cpp

HEADERS += \
        battle.h \
        creature.h \
        data_structs.h \
        player.h \
        server.h \
        serverwindow.h \
        serverworker.h

FORMS += \
        serverwindow.ui

# Default rules for deployment.
    qnx: target.path = /tmp/$${TARGET}/bin
    else: unix:!android: target.path = /opt/$${TARGET}/bin
    !isEmpty(target.path): INSTALLS += target

RESOURCES += \
        resource.qrc

• Lifetime Qt Champion

@nkbartc said in QSqlDatabase: QPSQL driver not loaded:

Cannot load library D:\Qt\5.14.0\msvc2017_64\plugins\sqldrivers\qsqlpsql.dll: The specified module could not be found.
    QLibraryPrivate::loadPlugin failed on "D:/Qt/5.14.0/msvc2017_64/plugins/sqldrivers/qsqlpsql.dll" : "Cannot load library D:\Qt\5.14.0\msvc2017_64\plugins\sqldrivers\qsqlpsql.dll: The specified module could not be found."

You're most likely missing libpq.dll in your PATH / in your folder of your executable.

• 2.png 1.png

I already did that. I am showing the pictures just in case if I did it wrong.

• PostgreSQL12.1 is for 64bit. Could this cause the problem?

• Lifetime Qt Champion

PostgreSQL12.1 is for 64bit. Could this cause the problem?

If your app is 32 bit, then yes.

Regards

• @aha_1980

qt: 5.14.0
    kit: msvc2017 64bit
    PostgreSQL: 12.1

I think I am supposed to use PostgreSQL 64bit, but I just tried with PostgreSQL 32bit. No luck.....

• Lifetime Qt Champion

Use dependency walker on qsqlpsql.dll to see what's missing. Maybe a msvcrt runtime

• @Christian-Ehrlicher

I am using kit: msvc2017 64bit.

I suppose that I should run dependency walker on qsqlpsql.dll at
    D:\Qt\5.14.0\msvc2017_64\plugins\sqldrivers ?

Thanks

• Lifetime Qt Champion

I suppose that I should run dependency walker on qsqlpsql.dll at

yes

• 2.png

This is what I got

• Lifetime Qt Champion

@nkbartc press Ok, then minimize the tree on the left side, so that only one level of dependencies is visible.

The yellow warnings are harmless, AFAIK.

• Lifetime Qt Champion

Please take a look at the direct dependencies

• @aha_1980 @Christian-Ehrlicher

Like this? Sorry I am new to dependency walker.

1.png

• Lifetime Qt Champion

@nkbartc Yes, like that.

Unfortunately(?) that looks all good, so this library (qsqlpsql.dll) does not seem to be the problem.

Regards

• Moderators

I checked "D:\Qt\5.14.0\msvc2017_64\plugins\sqldrivers\qsqlpsqld.dll" and I did found the dll which the debugger reports as missing. And I am also confused about why it complains about "'D:/Qt/5.14.0/msvc2017_64/plugins/sqldrivers/qsqlpsql.dll' uses incompatible Qt library.

On windows debug and release libraries are different binaries and can't be loaded interchangeably (unlike with linux). You probably need to build the driver with debug.

• @nkbartc Pointing to the dll in the bin library solved the issue for me. Change the path from D:\psql\lib to D:\psql\bin