Important: Please read the Qt Code of Conduct - https://forum.qt.io/topic/113070/qt-code-of-conduct

How do I unit test my code?

• I am very, very new to C++ and even newer to QT Creator. Literally installed it yesterday.

Despite my best efforts, I cannot figure out how to run unit tests on my project.

My project was created within QT Creator by going to File -> New File or Project -> QT Console Application

This created the following:

* FirstProject
    | -> FirstProject.pro
    | -> * Sources
         |-> main.cpp

Here's the contents of FirstProject.pro:

QT -= gui

CONFIG += c++11 console
    CONFIG -= app_bundle
    DEFINES += QT_DEPRECATED_WARNINGS

SOURCES += \
            main.cpp

qnx: target.path = /tmp/$${TARGET}/bin
    else: unix:!android: target.path = /opt/$${TARGET}/bin
    !isEmpty(target.path): INSTALLS += target

Here's the contents of main.cpp:

#include <QCoreApplication>
    #include <iostream>
    #include <string>
    #include <sstream>
    #include <QDebug>
    #include <vector>

integer calculate(){
        return (4 + 3);
    };

int main(int argc, char *argv[]){
        QCoreApplication a(argc, argv);

calculate();

return a.exec();
    }

How should I test that calculate returns 7? What files do I create? Once I've created a file containing my test code, how do I include my calculate function in the test? Should it be inside a class for easy access? How do I run these tests from within QTCreator? I don't mind what testing framework, QtTest seems fine.

Documentation such as this https://doc.qt.io/qt-5/qtest-overview.html does not go over it step by step, does not cover how to add tests to an existing project.

• @pablo-j-rogina I have three main problems. (1) how should the directory structure of my project look (2) how do I include the project files in the test files (3) how do I run the tests. I.e. what button do I physically click in QT Creator

Your link details how to write individual test files rather than set up a project for testing. I am a complete beginner, though I have PHP experience.

If I could see a youtube video of someone setting up a project for unit testing in QT Creator I'm sure I'd be fine. Or if someone could spell it out ;)

• Lifetime Qt Champion

Hi and welcome to devnet,

You should follow the structure like done in the Qt sources.

Use a SUBDIRS project so you can build everything separately correctly and also have the targets available to run from Qt Creator or from the command line.

• @sgaist Thankyou. I've done this...but how do I include the class header from one subproject into the tests from the other subproject? Is it done in one of the .pro files?

• Lifetime Qt Champion

The most simple is to create a .pri file that handles the file part (for example SOURCES and HEADERS variables) and that you can include in both the test and main project .pro files.