How to declare enums in Python and expose to QML?

• In C++ one can simply declare an enum as following:

enum class MyEnum{One, Two, Three}

Then using the Q_ENUM macro and registering the object using qRegisterType one is able to use the enums in QML. How can I do this in PySide2. I am aware that Python possesses enum capabilities (from enum import Enum) but how can I expose these to QML? I have tried to import the Q_ENUM macro from PySide2.QtCore but that didn't work.

• An enumeration is a set of symbolic names bound to unique, constant values . Within an enumeration, the values can be compared by identity, and the enumeration itself can be iterated over. In Python 3.4 (PEP 435) , you can make Enum the base class.

from enum import Enum
    class Directions(Enum):
        East, West,North,South = range(4)
    print(Directions.North.value)

• @galewinston
    Yes, but that does not address the OP's problem of exposing to QML; the vagaries of Python are not at issue.

@daljit97
    Bad news, I'm afraid, I think: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/57693019/how-to-declare-enums-in-pyside-2-and-expose-them-to-qml, August 2019:

At the moment, there is no equivalent, because PySide2 does not implement Q_ENUMS: see bug PYSIDE-957. In addition to this, the implementation of Property also has problems: see bug PYSIDE-900. A fully working QML enum example for PyQt5 is given here - but of course you cannot test it with PySide2.

So it works from PyQt5 but not from PySide2, and remains unresolved in the latter.

• So instead of using old school Enums use a Dictionary as that is basically how it is handled behind the scenes aka

Directions = {}
    Directions ['East'] = 1
    print(Directions['East'])
    --or--
    Directions [1] = 'East'
    print(Directions[1])

depending on which value you are wanting to be what you get back then you just pass the dictionary